Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac XTS Premium V-Sport
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the struts in my 2005 Deville. I put everything back in the way it came out but now it is awful to drive. The steering stays where it is after turning the wheel and will not return to center and it feels almost as if there is a lump or two on the tires the way it drives now. Is something major wrong now besides needing an alignment?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
That's definitely not alignment related. Somethings either broken or installed wrong.

What do you mean by it feels like there're bumps on the tires? The car shakes when driving? I don't see how installing struts would do that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only taken it low speed around my property so it's hard to tell if it's just real sensitive to the irregularities in the roadway or what is happening. It's almost like going slow over a small rock or something. I jacked it back up and rechecked everything and it's all in place like original, everything is tight, but if you look at the tires it almost looks like the alignment is not even close to being right.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
The alignment guy will tell you if there is something messed up. I'm sure an alignment will cure it. I have had cars that I could barely drive 4 miles to the alignment shop after suspension repairs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had it in the shop to be aligned this morning and now it drives good as new.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
I just this week had that very same problem, except that I HAD to drive the car 290 miles and literally destroyed the two front tires!
Glad you had an opportunity to get it diagnosed and aligned before driving too far.
The alignment shop owner said that my mechanic (NO) mechanic can count on history markings for installation of new strutts, as they are all going to plant the tires to the road uniquely and an alignment should always be done as part of the job....I now agree.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
The alignment shop owner said that my mechanic (NO) mechanic
can count on history markings for installation of new strutts,
as they are all going to plant the tires to the road uniquely
and an alignment should always be done as part of the job....
I now agree.

absolutely 100% TRUE -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts