Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida Deville, 54,000 Miles, 2005. Running smooth and gas mileage is approx. 20 around town and 22 + on longer trips.
Check engine light has come on. Local Caddy dealer want $125.00 to run diagnostics and turn off light.
Between routine oil changes, brake work, and gas mileage, etc. I question whether the diagnostics are needed.
I know some cars allow owner reset. Is there a way to do this, or should I fork over the $$?
Also, how easy is it to replace spark plugs? At 50K plus I'd like to treat the car to a new set but have sad memories of helping neighbor replace the plugs on a TR-3 Triumph year ago. Near impossible.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,817 Posts
check the stickies at the top of this page. You can pull the codes yourself. Read the whole thing, pull the codes and post them here WITH DEFINITIONS. You'll get more help that way. You can do a lot of this yourself without paying the dealer.
As for plugs, if needed, you can do but the rear bank is a bitch.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
:yeah: '05 is the last year for the self diagnostics. :(

·
Registered
2005 Deville
21 Posts
I replaced my 05's plugs at 115,000 miles, they still looked pretty good and they were firing just fine. If I were you I would leave the plugs alone. I'm pretty sure they're rated for 100,000 miles. Pretty crappy dealer asking for $125 when they know you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
check the stickies at the top of this page. You can pull the codes yourself. Read the whole thing, pull the codes and post them here WITH DEFINITIONS. You'll get more help that way. You can do a lot of this yourself without paying the dealer.
As for plugs, if needed, you can do but the rear bank is a bitch.
:yeah: '05 is the last year for the self diagnostics. :(
Courtesy of JimD

DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville, 2000-2005 Deville and other models with 3 buttons on the RH side of DIC

Use the 3 switches located to the right (LH drive cars) of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES
INFO RESET = NO
INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
Pretty crappy dealer asking for $125 when they know you can do it yourself.
If you bring your car in and ask for help, they will give it to you. No one turns away business.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
If you bring your car in and ask for help, they will give it to you. No one turns away business.
I've been in business for 30 years (not auto). I would never let staff take money from a customer if there was a known self fix like this.
Always be truthful, and 5/10 might give you the $125 and let you show them how to do it them selves for the future and be very happy. There is no right way to do a wrong thing.

I would never lose a customer for a $125 they could tell 10 people and it turns into a loss of thousands in the end.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Disconnected battery last night and the light has been out since, except when everything comes on when key first turned. Will run the codes when I get a chance. Have pretty much given up on this particular dealer. Two weeks ago I called and made an appointment for the ignition switch recall. I showed up on the day and at the time they'd specified and they had no record of the appointment. On top of that they hadn't told me that I'd need to bring in all my keys. A morning shot. Not again. There are too many decent folks around who know what they're doing and are happy to earn my business.
Rob

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Disconnected battery last night and the light has been out since, except when everything comes on when key first turned. Will run the codes when I get a chance. Have pretty much given up on this particular dealer. Two weeks ago I called and made an appointment for the ignition switch recall. I showed up on the day and at the time they'd specified and they had no record of the appointment. On top of that they hadn't told me that I'd need to bring in all my keys. A morning shot. Not again. There are too many decent folks around who know what they're doing and are happy to earn my business.
Rob
============================
Disconnected battery last night and the light has been out since,

Will run the codes when I get a chance.

don't bother checking for codes -
you erased them all when you disconnected the battery -

-----------------------

regarding the KEY RECALL -
all they do is place a small insert to fill the oval cutout on the key -
and replace the ring with a tiny ring - THAT'S IT -

codes are your FRIEND -
when a code is stored - it helps diagnose the problem CAUSING the code -

clearing the code doesn't FIX anything -

·
Super Moderator
86,785 Posts
I've been in business for 30 years (not auto). I would never let staff take money from a customer if there was a known self fix like this.
Keep in mind that we are talking about car dealers here.

·
Registered
2002 Deville DHS
19 Posts
As a new Cadillac owner, I'm just amazed they gave the ability to pull codes. When I tried it for the first time I was floored...you don't even need to buy an OBDII scanner unless you need it read live data to pass an emissions test. Don't worry about all the dash and accessory lights all flashing on at once when you do the below. It's all normal to enter the diagnostics mode.

$125 is standard for diagnostics but it's also great a lot of parts stores (AutoZone, Advanced, etc. ) will also read codes for you for free as well. Thankfully we also have this in Canada! Just highlighting another alternative to the dealer available.

The fun begins after you get the code really...hopefully it's an easy DIY or something simple like the gas cap isn't on a full 3 clicks completely. :eek:

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
The older Devilles (before 1996) had even more diagnostic tools built into them. From the IPC, you could test things like radiator fans, and statuses of other sensors. When OBD 2 came out, the standard forbid such tools. Eventually all diagnostic tests could only be performed with the Tech 2 scantool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts