Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L. I've had it for about 2 months and everything worked fine. Just yesterday my high beams stopped working and I noticed today my tail lights also stopped working. The brake lights still work fine. Also, the little running lights in the corner of the headlights do not work. I just dont understand why this has happened. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 5M
614 Posts
That is very strange indeed. I guess your first step would be to check fuses. I have seen one simple fuse throw off half of the workings on these cars. After you check all fuses make sure your relays work and your plugs are all plugged in nice and tightly.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
check fuzes like previous poster stated...also check and make sure the fuze box under the hood is secured and not loose. if it is loose, then it isnt getting a proper ground and can cause some crazy things like your situation to happen

·
Registered
2005 CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check fuzes like previous poster stated...also check and make sure the fuze box under the hood is secured and not loose. if it is loose, then it isnt getting a proper ground and can cause some crazy things like your situation to happen
ok so i checked every fuse in the car and they are all good. I forgot to mention that I had a 15" subwoofer and amp installed and the power wire was ran through a rubber boot in the firewall. I inspected it and found a wire was cut. I reconnected it and BAMM, my high beams work again! One problem solved.
However, the tail lights still do not work. Also, the corner running lights. Thanks for the replies so far!

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
not sure if you are aware or not, but there are three different fuze boxes in the CTS...two under the back seat and one under the hood...by any chance, do any of the lights flicker at any time? try pushing really hard down on the fuze box under the hood and see if the corner lights flicker...

·
Registered
2005 CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah I checked every fuse,under the hood and left and right boxes under the seat, that I thought would be relevant to the issue according to the owners manual. I just went outside and pressed hard on the fuse box to see if the lights flickered. Nothing. Are these bulbs connected in any way? I read somewhere that the 3 brake lights and the tail lights were on the same circuit and fuse. With the brake lights working, I ruled out the fuse issue.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
its funny that you state you checked only the fuzes you thought to be relevant...these cars are a lot different than most when it comes to electrical issues. i personally blew an audio fuze under the rear seat drivers side and it gave me transmission problems, so be careful and check all fuzes...but with what you have stated, it may be down to chasing wires and pin checking all of them to find this problem you have

·
Registered
2005 CTS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I guess I should start with replacing both tail light bulbs. I just figured it would be rare for both to go out at the same time. But like you said these cars have a mind of their own when it comes to electrical. Thanks for your advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts