Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I haven't been here for a long time because my CTS has been so good to me and I have been sticking with scheduled maintenance with the same dealer. About 2 weeks ago, it started but won't run so I had to use my back up car to get to work..things at work were hectic which prevented me from taking care of my CTS. I'm on Spring Break this week and had my car towed to Cadillac Dealer thinking it was a battery issue. The service rep said the valves on the engine are carbonated up and will need recasting due to fuel deposits I asked him what caused it he said it is probably the gas I was using. Said I should be using either chevron or mobile. No where in the owners manual said I needed to use certain brands and I am very pissed. Has anybody ever experienced this or it is a BS as many dealers are hurting economically. Please advise. I do have GMPP extended warranty and I wonder will they cover it. Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,497 Posts
I will never put that bottom barrel 87 crap in my car. Granted that definitely did not cause your carbon buildup but not driving it hard can do that too. If these engines are anything like the N* I have in my Seville STS than they need to be ripped on from time to time to clean out all the gunk that builds up. I do a nice WOT every week to make sure her inerds stay clean. Chevron Techron top end treatment is also a very good product...If the dealer pins it on the gas and the manaul says "premium fuel recommended" anywhere then you'll probably be SOL when it comes to the warranty coverage...

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback...the manual says regular gas 87...never had a problem with it since I got it brand new on August 2004 until just now....And thank you for mentioning Chevron Techron top end treatment product...a small question here, how often do I need to use this product to keep it smiling...am now waiting to hear back from the dealer with my fingers crossed (and feeling sick to my stomach)....

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,497 Posts
I run a 20 0z. bottle through after every other oil change, so about every 10-12k. Just pour it in before you fill up with some nice top tier 91+ fuel. Only additive that goes in my fuel tank, ever! Seafoam? hahahaha! That's just a smoke show that makes it look like it's doing something :)

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The information you just gave me is just so important...thank you so much...I only have about 44k miles on my car ...just to make sure I am reading you right, I pour 20 oz bottle and use top tier 91+ fuel after every other oil change?...and any other time I use regular gas??? I heard back from service rep saying my car would be ready later on this afternoon...am too scared to ask him how much it would cost me...I would rather be "sticker shocked" when the bill is presented and be done with it...silly me...smile...still hoping for some divine intervention from GMPP though...

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
87 octane will not hurt your car. And I highly doubt it is going to cause any more deposits than 92 or 93. When I ran premium, I got about 1-2 mpg better on the highway. That is the only difference.

fwiw, with all these new cars now going to direct injection, premium fuel is not going to be needed in the future.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you....exactly ...this is why I don't understand why 87 octane caused the build up...I mostly used my car on freeway 405 at approx 10 miles each way during work week...and now I get this....I have owned sports car and SUV's and never once did I get the carbon build up until just now...maybe I didn't drive fast enough, hahah

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
some (not all) dealer service people just throw out any excuse they can think of. I still don't understand why they lie to you when they know you know they are lying to you.

maybe gas caused it, I don't know. but I guarantee you it had nothing to do with the octane. years ago, my cherokee died in the middle of the highway shortly after filling up on a road trip. I was having all kinds of problems with it dying until my next fillup. After that, the problem never came back. I chalked it up to bad gas.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I know and yet I am at their mercy....I have known and used this service rep for as long as I have owned this CTS...he has been really good to me but it is the service "techies" that I am wary of...they are "faceless" in the back part of the dealership and I have no proof if they are being truthful about this problem or just doing this recasting thing to keep the job and I get shafted as a result....sad (and yes pissed, too)

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh Jeez...the other two dealers (both are closer to me) are the worst and have the lowest ratings...

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,497 Posts
Local GM dealer, about 2 miles away, never done me wrong and always fixes things right. A little on the pricey side but you get what you pay for when it comes to a Cadillac. Closest exclusive Cadillac dealer is at least a 30 minute drive, not happening....

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are one very lucky man...am still waiting for the service rep to call me...been in the shop since yesterday....

·
Registered
Cadillac
273 Posts
The carbon theory was crap. Even if carbon is building on your car's valves, it will be a very slow, long process that might get slowly worse over a long period of time. It won't happen such that one day all of a sudden your car doesn't run correctly.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just brought my car home...$271.75 is what I paid and it seems my GMPP warranty paid most of it as it shows 22.96 for windshield wipers, 43.01 for gas, 200.00 for mic deductible and 5.78 for tax...the service rep was "missing in action" when I got there so never got to ask him questions ...that doesn't include 122.00 that I had to pay for towing....just sent him a text for clarification....smile

·
Registered
2005 CTS
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the service rep texted back and yes, GMPP covered it..would have been 450.00 not including the minor stuff needed. Tomorrow I am going to make a copy of the bill and towing bill to send to GMPP for a $50.00 tow reimbursement. Not much but I am mighty glad that I didn't get 100% shafted....smiles...thank you for your support and all that

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
Thank you....exactly ...this is why I don't understand why 87 octane caused the build up...I mostly used my car on freeway 405 at approx 10 miles each way during work week...and now I get this....I have owned sports car and SUV's and never once did I get the carbon build up until just now...maybe I didn't drive fast enough, hahah
carbonated valves, I googles this and only this post came up. Recasting valves ? so the dealer has their own smelter also ? Are you kidding me. I'm gonna assume you mean excessive carbon deposit which is typical for any modern low emissions car. Off the back I suggest the GM upper engine treatment. This actually works really well despite the GM prefix. On aside no all gas is the same and comes from the same pipeline, cosco shell even the little indian guys place down the road. The only thing is big 4 names put in detergent which are suppose to clean the engine <cough>bullshit</cough>. I would say injector cleaner on every fill up, plus sea foam on every oil change and your in good shape.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts