Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you!! I purchased a fuel gauge the other day, so I'll give that a try. I will also check the fuel due as well. Thank you so much. I'll get back to you to let you know what I found. Quick question...did it sound as if it could be out of timing?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
I would not want to say it is out of timing without further tests (others may be able to tell, but I would not be comfortable making this diagnosis without the car running). I think the first step is to make sure it is getting fuel/air/spark.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
One more simple thing to try. Sit in the car with windows and doors closed. Turn the key to the run position without trying to start it. This will turn on the fuel pump, and you should be able to hear it for about a half second. If the fuse is good but you don't hear it turn on, then it is possible that the pump is bad (requires further diagnostics before replacing, but at least it's a place to start).

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you. I've already done the fuel pump check. It really doesn't sound like the smaller cars do once you turn the key. They sound ( to me) like more of a hum. When I listened for mine...It sounded like a thud or a bump.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Mine sounds like more of a hum than a thud, but I don't have a recording of it (don't think my phone would detect it, anyway).

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
Probably the simplest thing to try would be to take out your air filter and then spray starting fluid into the intake have someone crank it over and if it starts and runs for a few seconds that way then it means you're not getting fuel to the engine. There are tons of Articles here at RockAuto including stuff about the fuel system. There might be something in there to help you with your problem. Here is the link:

Roy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good morning. Thank you!
I cannot access the video so I can not comment on the sound. I do know that when my starter was going bad that I had long cranks before the car finally started. If the lack of fuel issue is ruled out I would be inclined to refocus on the starter. Perhaps you could benefit from a mobile mechanic if any are in your area to take a look at the car.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
I looked at the video and as RyanY said it does appear the engine is turning over fine just not actually starting which basically means fuel, air or Spark.

Roy

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I looked at the video and as RyanY said it does appear the engine is turning over fine just not actually starting which basically means fuel, air or Spark.

Roy
Thank you for the input. I plan on getting it checked out. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of it not being out of time.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
I think it is unlikely it is out of time, given that the chain(s) often become noisy (especially at startup) before they cause other issues. Doesn't mean this is impossible, but I am not aware of any cases where they jump gears.

Hopefully this is an easy/inexpensive fix!

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi Roy,
I'm sorry, but I've been under the weather. I'm having to do the work myself, so I'm going to try a few things on Saturday.
Thanks for checking on me.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts