Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Cadillac CTS won't start..it try the crank, but doesn't catch. There's a squealing noise while trying.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,431 Posts
Welcome to CF !!! I moved this to its own thread in CTS - from a long-dead thread in Deville (totally different cars).

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
If the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel, a likely problem is the starter solenoid is not moving the gear into position. Mine had a similar problem a few years ago, but I was able to resurrect it by cleaning and lubing the gear shaft. In many cases the whole unit needs to be replaced.

If you replace, I strongly recommend an ACDelco or Denso unit...stay away from store brands unless you enjoy replacing it every few years.

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!! I think I have left a few things out. Ok, so when I purchased the car, it wasn't running. They would try to crank it in the mornings, but got nothing but a fast whining sound. I go it back to my place and had my uncle look at it, and he seems to think it's the timing. I also noticed that the battery wouldn't stay charged, so I got another one. I replaced a sensor from the back seat, but it still won't crank. Heeeelllppp😢😢

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the fly wheel is spining..a little too fast if you ask me🤣🤣. I'm not sure..it just won't catch to crank

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
It definitely sounds like you need a new starter. I'm assuming the engine is not turning over correct?

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
And the fly wheel is spining..a little too fast if you ask me🤣🤣. I'm not sure..it just won't catch to crank
Can you post a video? This would be more helpful than words for relatively uncommon issues like this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It sounds like the starter is turning but it is not engaging with the flywheel to turn the engine over.

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure...I'm getting so many different(suggestions) opinions on what could be the issue..of course from family members. They all keep saying it's the timing chains, but something in me says it's not🤷🏽‍♀️.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure...I'm getting so many different(suggestions) opinions on what could be the issue..of course from family members. They all keep saying it's the timing chains, but something in me says it's not🤷🏽‍♀️.
I went through this 2 years ago, replacing the starter fixed the problem. A bad starter will cause the battery to discharge on this car. I would get a starter and find a shop to replace the starter for a reasonable price. A timing chain problem would possibly cause the check engine light to come on so try to scan for codes. I tend to not believe it is a timing chain problem based on your description.

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually recorded the sound and visual...but I'm not able to upload it here😒

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
170 Posts
Upload it to YouTube and then put the link here.

Roy

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
I actually recorded the sound and visual...but I'm not able to upload it here😒
I think you have to meet a minimum number of posts before they let you do a vid (maybe 10 posts?). Try posting a few short posts and then try the vid again.

Edit: I may be thinking of a different discussion board...YouTube may be the only way to post vids here!

·
2005 CTS
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not allowing me to do the YouTube thing either. I did however hook it up to the code tester, and there were no codes. When I switched the car on, there were a few indications on the dash, but they went off fairly quickly. I'd really love for one of you guys to help me with understanding the problem. If need be, I can send the vid to an email address if you're comfortable with me doing so.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Just PM me. Click on my user name and then click the message button, then add the vid as an attachment.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
Thanks for sending the video. The starter appears to be working fine. Several possibilities, and I would start very basic. First, it sounds as if it is not getting fuel. This could be caused by a clogged fuel filter (easy fix) but could also be caused by a faulty fuel pump (not-so-easy fix, but doable). Or it could be a blown fuse for the fuel pump (easy fix). I would start by checking the fuse...remove the rear seat bottom, then open the fuse box located just under the edge of the carpet below the seat on the passenger side. Remove and inspect the fuel pump fuse. If intact, the next step is to check fuel pressure. Unfortunately this is not as easy as other cars, given the location of the pressure fitting. This requires a pressure guage, and if your engine is the same as mine you will need to remove the intake plenum to access the pressure fitting.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >131k miles
701 Posts
The video is posted <here>. To me it sounds like a lack of fuel, but hopefully others have more ideas.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts