Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this car, it down shifts really hard coming to a stop and shifts oddly second to third. Plus it has a crunching noise in front driver side sometimes when you hit bumps, but sometimes not. Help!

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
JoJoPink70 said:
Just bought this car, it down shifts really hard coming to a stop and shifts oddly second to third. Plus it has a crunching noise in front driver side sometimes when you hit bumps, but sometimes not. Help!
Why did you buy it with tranny problems? That's a big fix. I don't have a lot of experience with the tranny and a crunch sound Is an odd sound too.

12,778 Posts
JoJoPink70, would you consider going to a dealership for service? Please let me know if you decide to involve a dealer at any point, and I'm happy to contact your dealer anytime on your behalf to follow up. (I realize, though, that you're likely seeking DIY advice, which I can appreciate.)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS, Volant, V Exhaust, Hotchkis (SOLD!); 2010 2SS
410 Posts
I have this same problem but only downshifting from high RPMs from 3rd to second at about 22mph...and if I'm in sport mode and floor it, it downshifts so hard when I let off throttle that it feels like im slamming on my brakes.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,979 Posts
Just bought this car, it down shifts really hard coming to a stop and shifts oddly second to third.
What is "this car"? Year? Model? How many miles on it? Any idea when the transmission fluid was last changed? If you don't know that, I would start with getting the transmission fluid serviced - that often cures a lot of ills for autotragic transmissions.

Plus it has a crunching noise in front driver side sometimes when you hit bumps, but sometimes not. Help!
You're going to have to be more specific than that to get any answers. I don't understand how a "crunching sound" would come from the suspension. A clunk or a squeak, sure, but I don't understand crunching. Does this happen at high speeds? Low speeds? If you bounce that corner of the car up and down can you hear anything? Have taken the wheel off and looked to see if there's anything wrong with the suspension?

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Crunching? It sounds like you are riding over gravel? Did you check to see if there was dried out animal carcass in the suspension springs?

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
I think we should be a little kinder. JoJoPink sounds like a chick's name, and we've chased too many of them away already.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The 1st 2 ?'s in my post were legitimate. Crunching sounds are odd, I wanted to see if it sounded like driving over gravel.
I was joking about the animal carcass, tho. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think i know what she means. Crunching from tranny. Sounds like a bearing noise from alternator but louder and only makes from r/f and when in any gear but park. Sounds like the fluid is low and the torque converter doesnt have enough fluid . harsh downshift on mine turned into always stuck in 4th gear but intermittently works normal with no bang. Fixed ecm took care of majority of problems and tcm new as well. Also on 1st start u can hear a high pitched noise from trans that goes higher and higher pitched sounds like fluid making its way through all the channels etc and once reached it stops noise and only at idle and in gear makes crunching sound. In park is ok. Put in drive and the PRNDL indicator not lit. Put in any other gear and it lights up

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,717 Posts
I think i know what she means. Crunching from tranny. Sounds like a bearing noise from alternator but louder and only makes from r/f and when in any gear but park. Sounds like the fluid is low and the torque converter doesnt have enough fluid . harsh downshift on mine turned into always stuck in 4th gear but intermittently works normal with no bang. Fixed ecm took care of majority of problems and tcm new as well. Also on 1st start u can hear a high pitched noise from trans that goes higher and higher pitched sounds like fluid making its way through all the channels etc and once reached it stops noise and only at idle and in gear makes crunching sound. In park is ok. Put in drive and the PRNDL indicator not lit. Put in any other gear and it lights up
she hasn't logged on in 8 years. not likely she or the others in this thread will see your comment. Keep searching and checking back to your other posts and perhaps someone will chime in to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts