Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CTS 3.6 Automatic with 57,xxx miles on it. I change the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles with 5w-30 synthetic.

I drove to work yesterday with no issues. I drove MOST of the way home before I heard this ticking/knocking noise when I accelerated. When I got home I immediately checked the oil level. It was low, but nothing remotely close to empty. After adding oil, it was about 1/2 a quart low.

In the morning, I started it up and the knock was still there, but after a minute of idling, it disappeared. I started driving it and when I got on the expressway, the knock got very loud. I got off at my exit and while sitting at the light, the engine really wanted to die. I managed to get to a parking space and as I pulled in, the car died and would not restart. I carpool, so I just went to work.

I got back to my car 9 hours later and it started, but it sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdyQNBy9_qc&feature=youtu.be

I had it towed home and in my driveway it sits. I obviously want to fix it, but I am unsure what is wrong exactly. The SES light came on for 2 seconds when the car was trying to die at the stop light, but turned off and never came back on. Oil is still full. I'd like to do whatever labor I can on my own so I don't have to spend $5,000 in labor. I owned a 99 Z28 a few years back and the valves got bent when I let the previous owner drive it at the track, I did all the work replacing the valves and pushrods myself, so I am familiar with working on engines (used to be an aircraft mechanic in the Air Force as well.) My point is that I am comfortable doing the work.

Any help, advice, input on what you all think I should do would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,785 Posts
The first thing I would do, remove both accessory belts. Hopefully the sound will go away when you do a test run.

It doesn't sound like a water pump, and you didn't mention any power steering loss.

KOT

·
Registered
Black 06/08 Satillac CTS-O
398 Posts
most likely a spun rod bearing. if you don't mind doing a little work you can swap out the engine with an engine from a different GM model car. There will be some parts swapping but it's worth the hassle rather than buying an exact replacement CTS engine for 1500-2000$ (high mileage). You can find 3.6L in a Saturn, Pontiac or Chevy Malibu. I put a 2008 Saturn Vue 3.6L in my 06 CTS. Runs like a champ and it only had 24K miles on it. I paid 720. plus shipping. It sucks paying 700+ for something and pulling parts off of it but it sucks even more to pay 3000. at Caddilac for a replacement engine. There's plenty of engines out there, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called GM Customer Service since the car has low miles for being a 2005. They wanted me to take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed, which I did. They said they think its a stretched timing chain and want $2,000 to fix it. They also said that replacing the timing chain may not correct it because there may be internal damage. Their other option was to replace the engine. I called the GM Customer Service back this morning and am currently awaiting on a call back from them.

If it is indeed a spun rod bearing (as oppoased to their timing chain theory,) what would have caused that to happen?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GM Customer Service called me back. They want me to tell the dealer to do a complete tear down of my engine to determine the issue with it. This would be the most expensive way to go about correcting the issue. This is the only way they will even CONSIDER helping me with it. My concern is that if they tear the thing down, determine a rod bearing was spun, they will just tell me I didn't change my oil often enough. I changed it every 3,000 - 4,000 miles (adding a few quarts in between because these effing things burn so much oil). So I am faced with a decision that includes replacing a timing chain, replacing an engine, both at full cost to me, or tell them to completely rip the engine apart to determine the cause and HOPE that GM fixes it for me.

I am never buying a Cadillac again after this experience. I bought the car for $16k with 35k miles on it two years ago. I put 12k miles on it in that time period and now I owe $12k for a 4,000 lbs paperweight. I am stuck paying 40 more payments of $345 for something I won't ever drive again. Awesome.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,467 Posts
I would've opted for an extended warranty since the factory one expired right when you got it from the sound of it...may have covered some/most of this....But, that didn't happen and I feel for you, that would absolutely anger me and I hope GM does the right thing and at least offers to help with the bill, I doubt they'll pay for it all as technically you are out of warranty, but this kind of thing shouldn't happen to a 7 year old engine with that low of mileage, especially not a Cadillac. This timing chain issue, not that this is your issue, reminds of the early N* headgasket issue, just an engineering flaw that GM just can't compensate for so theiry simply waiting it out...Hence why the 07 got the extended coverage and 04-06 didn't.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6l
185 Posts
GM Customer Service called me back. They want me to tell the dealer to do a complete tear down of my engine to determine the issue with it. This would be the most expensive way to go about correcting the issue. This is the only way they will even CONSIDER helping me with it. My concern is that if they tear the thing down, determine a rod bearing was spun, they will just tell me I didn't change my oil often enough. I changed it every 3,000 - 4,000 miles (adding a few quarts in between because these effing things burn so much oil). So I am faced with a decision that includes replacing a timing chain, replacing an engine, both at full cost to me, or tell them to completely rip the engine apart to determine the cause and HOPE that GM fixes it for me.

I am never buying a Cadillac again after this experience. I bought the car for $16k with 35k miles on it two years ago. I put 12k miles on it in that time period and now I owe $12k for a 4,000 lbs paperweight. I am stuck paying 40 more payments of $345 for something I won't ever drive again. Awesome.
Sorry to hear about your car, while every solution is crappy, the least crappy one is to buy a used engine and get it installed. You may be out another $1000-2000 BUT the car could last another 150,000 miles. It would at least take the sting out of paying for a car you cannot drive.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ofcourse they (GM Customer Service) want you to tell the shop to tear it down. More money in their pocket. Search LKQ Online for a used engine and have it replaced. I agree with you 100% about GM saying you didn't change the oil frequent enough. I went to the dealership with my new car last Thursday because I already had 3000 miles on it and I wanted to get the oil changed ($11.95 lifetime price) and they told me that it's only $11.95 if I wait till the oil monitor reads 20% or less and that the oil doesn't need changing until then no matter what (10000 miles or not). I told them they were full of $hit and that's how motors get damaged. Looks like they won't be getting any of my business from here on out.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year CTS engines will fit in my 2005 without having to modify/take a ton of parts from the other car? If none, are there any good websites to check out to find a used 05 engine? Are any other engines direct replacements? I checked LKQ Online, as mentioned above, but they didn't have any 05 CTS engines.

Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
CTS
120 Posts
mgruca05 said:
What year CTS engines will fit in my 2005 without having to modify/take a ton of parts from the other car? If none, are there any good websites to check out to find a used 05 engine? Are any other engines direct replacements? I checked LKQ Online, as mentioned above, but they didn't have any 05 CTS engines.

Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated.
If I'm not mistaken 03/06 are the same should be 07 as well but I seen a few places. 03/06 to 07 had different parts.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, what engine would fit from the newer models of these, if any, and what would be needed to do it:

3.6L, VIN 7 (8th digit, opt LY7)
3.6L, VIN V (8th digit, opt LLT)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a very helpful thread on here (as well as figured out that the LY7 engine will fit and not the LLT)

Still not sure about the year of engines that will fit in. I know I can use the 3.6L from other GM cars, just would need to transfer a few things over.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
6 Posts
Were you able to find an engine?

I may be in the same boat as you. I've got a 2005 3.6L CTS, and the engine started making knocking noises. I checked the oil filter and found metal shavings, which may be a death sentence for the engine.

Would you mind sharing your experience you've had so far of getting a new engine?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I complained to GM for the last two months and never accepted their crappy solutions. Although I still settled for a bad ending, I ended up getting 3 offers from them. $1000 to toward a dealer installed timing chain, $2000 toward an engine that must be installed at a GM dealer, or $2500 toward a new car. I opted for the new car. I traded in the CTS for $6000 and put the $2500 toward an 2012 Malibu. Definitely not ideal, but I have a car that's 7 years newer with a warranty.

·
Registered
398 Posts
How many miles were on your 05? If you got 6k for the car with a bad engine I'm trading in my 06 CTS for another car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts