Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone, my name is Tony my wife and I just purchased a 2005 Cts 2.8L V6 with the 6spd with only 57k. The car had a new clutch and flywheel put in not even a month ago along with a few other things such as a battery and a new computer. From what I've seen after the purchase was these cars have a ton of problems. Although when I searched around for them earlier on I seen nothing but good reviews about both motors and the car as a whole appeared to be a "joy to drive" in most of the reviews that I've taken time to read. Now I'm a bit concerned as to what I should expect and what should be done before something major happens. We are having it in for the ignition recall tomorrow morning and the dealership does a complete inspection so I hope they come back with nothing. I personally really enjoy driving the car, although it's RWD we also have the stock rims and winter tires along with a set of 18" rims that came with it. A little history on the car is the guy who owned it was a dentist, he bought it for his son who had a drinking problem. So after two DUI charges he decided that it was time to sell the car.

I am looking for any and all information that I need to know about this car, and maybe some tips to improve the reliability I want this car to last me a bit and not have to go car shopping in a year or two from now so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to know if there are any potential upgrades that can be done to improve the reliability of the vehicle as well as mpg.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Re: 2005 CTS 2.8L 6spd

Update*

Brought it in today for the stupid recall that GM made which consists of them placing a "filler" to the keys, and I was told it had a few issues which came as a shock to me as the mechanic that the car had been repaired by and was being sold by for a friend of his stated otherwise. I was told that the drive shaft support bearing was broken ($1,119.58) and the right inner CV joint boot was torn ($391.66). Otherwise the car checked out nothing other things were to be replaced and or a concern. I did also ask them about the issues with these vehicles and they told me that a lot of ones they've seen were due to people going past the oil intervals, that oil should be changed based on a 3-5k time table. They also stated that the internal oil life monitor stretches out the change intervals and that is what causes a lot of the issues. I don't know if anyone already has gathered that information or if it's even true but I figured i'd share what I was told.

So from what I was told by the place where i got the car , they are going to look for the parts and give me a total but what I was give for a price is outrageous. My question is from what I've been reading online many have replaced just the bearing and not the entire shaft which is what GM calls for. It appears that there is a little similarity with the boot on the Corvette and our CTS/CTSV but you can't use the same one. I would really like some insight on this if at all from what I can see when I watched a Benz have it done it doesn't seem like it be difficult to do maybe a 2hr job me to do it in my garage and maybe an hr or less for a shop to do it, aside from the axle itself I'm not sure how difficult that would be but I am open to some options.

Are there any good upgrades to either that would give me longer reliability to the vehicle or is it just something that is going to go wrong constantly?

Tmugz

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,040 Posts
First, a suggestion for using the forum... If you only put the year and model of your car in the thread title, nobody has any idea what the thread is about, and thus they are less likely to open the link and offer you advice. If you put a more descriptive title on the thread then folks who are browsing the forum can see whether it involves something they may have experience with or be knowledgeable about and you'll get more interest in the thread. I updated your thread title to help a bit.

Now, as to the topics at hand... What specifically are you worried about for reliability? Why does the vehicle's reliability worry you? Do you have some indication that the car was horribly neglected prior to you buying it? You bought a 10-year-old car with very low mileage, so in general it should be in very good shape. If you're worried about timing chain issues, then stay on top of the routine maintenance - check the oil regularly, ensure it remains topped off, and change the oil regularly with quality, correct viscosity rating oil. There's really nothing more you can do there.

In more general terms, I'll tell you basically the same thing I told the new owner in this thread a few weeks ago... There are all sorts of things that could happen, as is the case with any car, but (despite what the internet might indicate) the probability of any of them occurring is exceptionally low. Just keep doing your routine maintenance on time, keep the fluids topped off, and drive the car.

The problem with basing your perception of reliability on what you read on various internet forums is that only a tiny fraction of vehicle owners are represented online, and generally they don't log onto a forum to post about their success stories or the fact their vehicle has been trouble-free for 250,000 miles. So the "data" you'll find about reliability on an internet forum is statistically meaningless - it's just anecdotal evidence from a tiny, tiny fraction of the people who own these vehicles - and it's horribly biased towards negative experiences. You're better off looking at something like Consumer Reports to see what they've found with a much larger sample size and more objective data gathering. Keep in mind, though, that most 10-year-old cars don't have only 57k miles on them - they have about 3 times that much mileage, thus CR's reliability ratings are going to be based on data from a sample set of vehicles with way more mileage than you've got.

It is possible to replace just the carrier bearing on the driveshaft, but the dealers default to replacing the entire shaft. I'm pretty sure that's what the $1100+ estimate was about. Here's a thread about a DIY carrier bearing replacement. As for the torn CV boot, in my experience (on my Subaru, not my Caddy), I think it's easier to just swap out the entire axle rather than messing around with cleaning and regreasing the CV and putting a new boot on. Since I've never had to do it on this car I can't comment on how difficult it may or may not be, but I think it should be something that you could handle if you can turn a wrench reasonably well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured with having over 50 views it would have been replied to as most people have seen what I had been requesting to have some help with .

I spoke with the mechanic I purchased it and the previous owner will cover the repairs as long as I drive it back down to the mechanic I got it from so i'll be doing that this Monday . I had also looked at that thread and I really felt pretty comfortable after reviewing the write up that I could do the driveshaft job , and the axle to me seems like a pretty straight forward job which I've done before on my impala and a gmc sierra back when I was in highschool. And the mechanic told me to just stick with how I change oil currently which is 3-4k even with synthetic so i'll stick with that and just make sure that during my fill ups it's still reading the same on the dipstick .

Thank you for the help , i'll be posting up about some other stuff and make sure to be a little more descriptive in the title , i'd like to know if there are anything really worth it type mods that aren't going to break the bank or the vehicle but just make the daily driving more enjoyable .

Tmugz

·
Registered
2006 CTS (sold), 2013 ATS Premium 3.6
75 Posts
A common upgrade people do is install an aftermarket trans cooler because sometimes the stock lines corrode due to salt among other things and mixes fluids causing problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wouldn't happen to know the make and model of the trans cooler would you ? I had looked around for something but I hadn't found anything other than just discussion about it .

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,040 Posts
The external trans cooler discussion doesn't apply to you since you have a 6-speed manual. The automatics have a trans cooler integrated with the radiator, but you don't have that.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
OK I have the same engine trans combo. You will need at some point the bushings for the shifter linkage, creative steel offers them, when the shifter gets sloppy and you can't get into reverse you'll know. You've done the clutch flywheel, so that's done and I've done it too. I had to do motor mounts, one was leaking. I've done a driveshaft once, and a new front coupler on the 2nd driveshaft once. The rear coupler is the same as the automatics, the front is physically bigger but uses a smaller bolt circle so we eat those faster, they are available from the dealer now. Had to do the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal twice. And as stated we don't have a trans cooler, so one less problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shift linkage wouldn't have been done with the new clutch setup was installed ? The driveshaft, and rear axle is going to be replaced in a few weeks I just am waiting for them to get the parts in since they have to replace the rear coupler . And, pertaining to the transmission being as it's the 6spd, there isn't a need for the cooler ?

----------

https://creative-steel.com/shop/04-07-cts-manual-6-speed-shifter-bushings/

That what you are talking about ?

Also since my other post isn't really getting any information have you done anything else to your car and anything for mpg improvements ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes that's what I'm talking about. Until creative steel started making them you either had to make them yourself which I did , or buy a new shifter assembly which is discontinued BTW. Never available separately from GM. I also put in CS front diff bushing, that's not unique to the manual but seems they all go bad, mine was shot. As far as mpg, my car has the limited slip 3.73 rear end which gives me 3k rpms at 75, so it sucks. Save swapping rear gears I have no solutions

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know waht gear i have in the rear i would guess it would be the same as yours ? My mpg isn't horrible on the dic is says 26mpg and on my last fillup it was just shy of 23 with a lot of idle and city driving towards the end of the tank so i think i was probably fairly close to the dic had registered .

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know it's not horrible mpg but its not like some cars would get that are turning like 1500 rpm on the highway lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My RPM are around 2200-2600 at 65 so my guess is that i too have the Limited slip rear end ? The previous owner covered the costs for nearly all repairs, the only thing that I had to pay for was the rear diff bushing otherwise they picked up at $1000 tab not including the recent visit to to correct something the shop didn't catch. The car has been good to me so far, I've put almost 4k on it and aside from the issues I've listed it's been great . Now to find a way to improve the mpg , other than my driving habits which I've adjusted .

Tmugz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts