Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX 3.6
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black plastic sliding door over the cupholders in our '05 has fragmented.

That part, of course, is simply not available. And even if it were we'd have the same problem. What we did find for a song, however, was a light gray console that's nearly new out of a low miles, always garaged low mile timing chain failure '05 with the light gray as opposed to dark gray basic interior. Its sliding door -- and cupholder, and media center pocket, and other bits -- are all like new.

So I've got the whole replacement center console in the wrong color.

Removing the old console is easy.

I'm practicing taking apart the light gray unit to figure out how to tear down and then reassemble our dark gray center console with the new sliding door. I've popped off the rear cover that includes the lighter, and the top rear cover aft of the door, and I've removed all the screws and nuts below that I can find, even tucked up partly underneath the cupholder assembly. I've pulled off the two little exterior trim pieces on the sides and dropped out the heavy metal brace that reinforces the attachment of the console sides to the driveshaft tunnel. If I can figure out how to pop out the main center console compartment liner, I feel confident I can get to the aft end of the forward cover that supports the cupholder assembly and shifter trim and whatever holds it to the main chunk of the center console. Painting the new unit would be an option if I could swap the padded top door, but that won't come off because the hinge is stuck under the main compartment liner, even though I've got all of those nuts and bolts removed. So I think the door, at least has to come off.

The whole thing is clearly not designed to ever be dismantled and reassembled.

Anyone ever tear one of these down? Is there a manual section? Illustrations?

·
Registered
2005 SRX 3.6
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one's messed with trying to replace the silly little sliding door at all? Ah, well. I'll see what I can figure out and report back! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
EU - SRX 2004 N* (with autogaz system) AWD, 7seat, trailer hitch westfalia.
305 Posts
I don't know how to remove this part. But Good luke !

·
Registered
2005 SRX 3.6
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured it all out. There was one more trim panel covering the last two screws holding the compartment liner to the console proper, and the front upper cover that allows access to the cupholder assembly pops off with plastic pry bars once the two screws hidden underneath are out.

None of these parts are readily available new, but complete used consoles are easy to find from nice vehicles that have suffered catastrophic mechanical failures or accidents. Resale is so low that even a minor accident can total a car. Light gray is far easier to find than charcoal. I needed charcoal gray... hence, the disassembly of a light gray unit to get the new cupholder with the sliding door. I took everything apart trying to find the aft connection points for the forward upper cover, but it turned out that access to the cupholder is slighter better engineered than, say, access to the padded cover, which requires total disassembly.

Hope it's useful to someone at some point.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts