Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 sts v8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own a 2005 cadillac sts v 8. This is my cadillac with a north star engine. It currently has Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30 motor oil. Is this the best choice for this car. I want to put only the best in this car. It only has 39000 miles on it and has always had synthetic oil.

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
Mobil 1 is being recommended by more and more brands requiring synthetic. I cycled in and out of Amsoil but decided the $5 a qt for Mobil was better then the $10 for Amsoil.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Mobil 1 is being recommended by more and more brands requiring synthetic. I cycled in and out of Amsoil but decided the $5 a qt for Mobil was better then the $10 for Amsoil.
FYI, AMSOIL now has Dexos1 OEM synthetics that are probably less expensive that you can get Mobil 1 for these days, particularly for those that get AMSOIL at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

AMSOIL OE Synthetic 5w30 (Product Code OEFQT)

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
Does it carry GM's Spec?
Not sure exactly what you mean by "carry GM's spec". It does meet and is labeled with Dexos1 which is GM's new all inclusive gasoline oil spec, superceeding all previous GM oil specs (namely 6094 and 4718).
:cheers:

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
Any oil with 'GM4718M' is good. I do like the simplicity of a filler cap imprinted 'Mobil 1 SAE 5W-30'.

I suppose I should ask, does the manufacturer claim 'meets or exceeds...' or does GM approve it?

·
Registered
06 CTS-V (sold)
680 Posts
"Meets or exceeds" in this case.

FYI, here is a recent consumer alert by the FCC regarding GM's "approval" requirement for oils:
"Tuesday, February 1, 2011
FTC Issues Consumer Alert on Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a consumer alert clarifying that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from denying warranty coverage based on use of an aftermarket product, unless they can show the product caused the damage or was installed incorrectly.

“The FTC’s statement should help those ILMA members, for example, who have decided not to license General Motors’ dexos™ engine oil,” said ILMA counsel Jeff Leiter. “Some ILMA members have complained to me that the automaker has made confusing statements about its new engine oil and warranty coverage for new vehicles. It makes sense to hand a customer a copy of the FTC consumer alert, showing that the use of equivalent products should not affect warranty coverage.”

The FTC consumer alert can be viewed at FCC Consumer Alert

This is also somewhat applicable:
Chevron, Citgo Pass on Dexos
:cheers:

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
I'm not concerned about warranty coverage.

I would only ask why would anyone seriously consider using anything other than Mobil 1 in their STS? It exceeds the requirements and it's not expensive. I see no reason to change what obviously works just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts