Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Escalade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a cts and got the oil changed and costed me a whoping $60. How many miles do you get. T^he mecanic said that its more than 3k . He said that cadillacs use different oil.

I just bought a CTS and got the oil changed. It cost me a whopping $60. How many miles do you get? The mechanic said that it's more than 3k. He said that Cadillacs use different oil.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
I just bought a CTS and got the oil changed. It cost me a whopping $60. How many miles do you get? The mechanic said that it's more than 3k. He said that Cadillacs use different oil.
How much did you think it was going to cost? What kind of oil was used?

"Cadillacs use different oil"? :lol: :lol: I'd love to ask that mechanic what in the world they were talking about!

My guess is they used synthetic oil, which is recommended but not required. Without knowing what oil they actually put in your car, what your typical driving habits are, or how meticulous you are about maintaining the proper oil level, it's impossible to tell you how many miles you can get out of the oil. Your car does have an oil life calculator built in - if you reset it now, you can use that as a guide on when to change the oil again. Check your Owner's Manual for information on oil change intervals, the oil life indicator, etc.

And update your profile with the year/model of CTS that you bought so that people know what kind of car you're dealing with when you ask for advice.

·
Registered
2007 cts sport pkg
13 Posts
well, im in ohio. 2007 cts, just had oil changed at dealer. 39.00 - 8.00 coupon.. they use mobil1 full synthetic. price sounded good to me !

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I think the owner's manual said something like 6k miles or so. I do mine at 4k and always use mobil 1 5w30

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,818 Posts
I've owned my 06 CTS since late 08. Also done all of my own oil changes. Some times I went 8,000 miles between. While some I went over 10,000. The longest was 12,000.

Of course I would check the oil level every now and then.

Mobile One 5w-30 is what I use.

KOT

·
Registered
Cadillac
218 Posts
AAIIIC is correct- synthetic oil is not required. What IS required is that it be 5W-30 AND meet General Motors spec GM6094M. This can be full synthetic, synthetic blend, or just regular oil (I favor synthetic). Your oil filler cap may lead you to believe that you must use Mobil 5W-30 synthetic (as mine does), but that's not so. When in doubt, check the owner's manual, which is available online.

This is about the easiest car (3.6 eng) in the world on which to change the oil and filter. Doing it yourself will save you a bunch of money, and you will avoid the horrors that others on this forum have experienced from quicky oil change operations. Just don't over-tighten the filter housing lid.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I change my oil every 3k with Royal Purple 5w-30 and the Mobil1 M1C-254 oil filter. Some will say it's a waste of time and money to change your oil that often, others will agree with me. Either way synthetic oil can easily be driven on for 5k+. Even the oil manufactures say it's okay and have done extensive testing to show the lubrication properties of oil as the mileage increases. Changing your oil sooner than that however, wont hurt your car.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium
180 Posts
The oils today will easily last 10,000 miles, especially synthetic. This is not my opinion, but that of many hours of testing and oil analysis. Under normal driving conditions, changing it more often is a waste of time and money. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
The oils today will easily last 10,000 miles, especially synthetic. This is not my opinion, but that of many hours of testing and oil analysis. Under normal driving conditions, changing it more often is a waste of time and money. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.
I would never let a VVT engine go 10,000 miles before changing the oil.

I change both cars with only Mobil 1 synthetic every 2800-3800 miles. The DTS is still almost clear ( I don't care ) I will spend the money because I love these cars. The CTS is Black always.
The Northstar in the DTS seems to run way cleaner. I never see condensation on the oil fill cap on the DTS like I see on the CTS.

The crank moisture and gasses seem to escape mush easier in the 4.6 then it does in the 3.6 or 2.8.

Next time you go for a short drive in the winter park you're car at home for 20-30 minutes after shut off and check the oil cap, it will be wet with condensation. Leave it over night and open it in the morning it will have ice on it inside and a thin coat going down the drain (only after short cold drives mind you). I know this as a fact, I put a quarter cup of oil in the CTS every third or fourth day to keep it topped right up because, I believe clean fresh FULL oil helps to prevent timing chain wear in the 3.6 and 2.8 VVT engine.

Go look at some threads on the this CTS forum and the SRX forum on timing chain replacement, almost all the timing chain covers have oil sludge in them along with the cam cover where #5 cylinder is where the so called (pcv orifice) hole is has sludge as well.
So the long and short of it is my cars run great and I'm going to keep changing their oil very frequently no matter what the global warming people tell me, have they seen the global warming in Boston?

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
918 Posts
Changing oil at 3K miles is definitely a waste (unless money and time is not an issue).
When synthetic oil first came out, it was advertised as being able to go 15K miles before an oil change. That was probably based on the need to change the filter or the 1 year mark.
I believe that it's probably best to trust the car's computer and change when it's between the 80% to 90% life.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Changing oil at 3K miles is definitely a waste (unless money and time is not an issue).
When synthetic oil first came out, it was advertised as being able to go 15K miles before an oil change. That was probably based on the need to change the filter or the 1 year mark.
I believe that it's probably best to trust the car's computer and change when it's between the 80% to 90% life.
In that case why did Cadillac have the 2007 CTS owners come in and have a flash done to the oil life monitors. The flash would allow oil life to be less than previous meaning MORE OIL CHANGES because they believed the lengthy oil change periods where contributing to timing chain failure. Read up on it.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
In that case why did Cadillac have the 2007 CTS owners come in and have a flash done to the oil life monitors. The flash would allow oil life to be less than previous meaning MORE OIL CHANGES because they believed the lengthy oil change periods where contributing to timing chain failure. Read up on it.
They did it because of the fact that these engines drink the oil. If the oil level would stay through out the life of the 10,000 miles, then things would have been great. Thus no need to reprogram the OLM.

GM felt it would be better to have the OLM force the consumer to come in earlier because most people don't know how to open the hood, let alone know how to check for oil level.

KOT

·
Registered
688 Posts
They did it because of the fact that these engines drink the oil. If the oil level would stay through out the life of the 10,000 miles, then things would have been great. Thus no need to reprogram the OLM.

GM felt it would be better to have the OLM force the consumer to come in earlier because most people don't know how to open the hood, let alone know how to check for oil level.

KOT
Agree. Low oil is a big cause of timing chain failure.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
918 Posts
Was the chain failure due to old oil or low oil? Was recall for any year besides 2007?

In spite of monitor reading, it's probably not a good idea to go beyond 8,000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
CaptSoloNJ said:
Was the chain failure due to old oil or low oil? Was recall for any year besides 2007? In spite of monitor reading, it's probably not a good idea to go beyond 8,000 miles anyway.
It wasn't a recall per say.

But the main reason why it only affected the 2007 model year. Is because it was still under the 100,000 mile warranty, I forget how many years.

KOT

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Kad4Life said:
^^^ '07, 10 years/120,000 mi., IIRC . A wise owner checks his oil level frequently . Just in case .
Oh yeah. Originally in 2007, it was a 5 year, maybe 7?, 100,000 mile warranty.

Then the reprogramming of the OLM came out. A month or two after that, GM extended the original warranty to what you said. 120,000/10 years.

KOT

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L Base
48 Posts
I can get about 4k on an oil change before my CTS starts running poorly (loss of power and car 'chugs'). Using synthetic oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts