Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is in the correct forum.

I posted this over on PontiacBonnevilleClub.com and received no response, so....

I already ran two quarts of Techron (Advance Auto, buy one, get one free) through it a week ago.

There were no codes stored, as I have the Advance Auto clerk put a scanner on it.

The problem seems to get worse in the rain.

Also, I've had the "SES" light come on while going around corners, hard.

So, I started to unplug one coil at a time, starting with cylinder #2, in an attempt to isolate the problem.

As I got to cylinder #8 (front bank, closest to the dipstick) and pulled it, the engine shut off and will not restart.

:roll:

Any suggestions on rectifying the miss?

On getting the car restarted?

Thanks.

:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
How do you unplug one coil at a time? Isn't the '05 COP ignition? The coils are inside the ignition cassette.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ranger:

See picture on post #120.

That is the setup that I have. Eight individual coils, eight plug in connections:

181624-2005-deville-stumbles-8.html

I can't post a link here yet.

The OP's name is "HiPoint"

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
985 Posts
First step: if you're seeing the SES light, go get your codes read, then come back with those codes. You're looking for codes P0301 (misfire cylinder #1) to P0308 (misfire cylinder #8). If you try to get the codes from the car using the instrument panel (possible in most Cadillacs, don't know about the Bonneville), you'll only get a P0300 (misfire, cylinder not specified).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
You should be able to read stored codes from the built-in scanner with the key ON.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
I don't think you can. This is a Pontiac, not a Cadillac.

I guess they made some changes in '05 that I wasn't aware of. Never saw that coil set up before.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
OK - '05. No internal scanner. You're right.............

The coil setup looks sort of like the Ford equivalent - a coil, connector boot, plug - all in one single assembly. You can literally replace one of anything without disturbing others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts