Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 3.6 auto,sport package,navigation
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read this sounds like a common issue. Does any one have a walk through to replace the oil filter adapter gasket? Thank you :)

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
Has no one here done this repair?
No, because this is not a repair. Actually it's expected that you change that gasket every oil change.
However I do not blame you for not doing that because surprisingly when you purchase an AC Delco filter you do not get this gasket with it.

However when I started using Wix filters (part# 57090) every filter comes with a gasket for the filter cover.

How you change it is a no brainer, I use one of my hooks below (second from the left) to remove the old one from the filter housing cover.

Then install the new one in reverse fashion nothing to it. Order the Wix Filter #57090 (it's $5.59 only on Rock Auto)
Or if you would like to spend more, you can buy AC DELCO part# 12577653 for $2.99 and you'll get only the gasket and use your own filter.

·
Registered
05 3.6 auto,sport package,navigation
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, sorry for not being very clear. I was referring to the gasket between the oil filer housing and the engine block. She's leaking pretty good so I'm going to replace it tomorrow. just unsure if I need to remove the power steering pump lines and a/c lines or if I could leave them connected and just set the compressor and pump aside.

·
Registered
2004 CTS
18 Posts
Oops, sorry for not being very clear. I was referring to the gasket between the oil filer housing and the engine block. She's leaking pretty good so I'm going to replace it tomorrow. just unsure if I need to remove the power steering pump lines and a/c lines or if I could leave them connected and just set the compressor and pump aside.
I did this last summer to my 3.6, it was a ton of fun. I didn't remove any power steering lines or AC lines, I did just what you suggested and unbolted them (the compressor and the pump) and moved them aside. It doesn't give you a ton of space, but it helps. Doing this was definitely a pain in the ass, the bolts that hold the filter housing to the block are a little difficult to get to, especially the bottom one. I had to crawl under the left front side and reach up to get at it. After you get the bolts out, it will take some finesse to get the housing itself out, as there were a couple things in the way. It's the shape of the housing that makes it awkward, it goes down further than it looks!

·
Registered
None
2 Posts
Unbolt airbox and remove, remove power steering belt, remove p.s. jug, remove power steering pulley, then remove power steering line, remove power steering pump, unbolt a.c. compressor and slid it out of the way as far as needed with lines still attached, remove the bolts from oil filter adapter, unplug sensor from adapter and slid it out the front. Many people said the power steering pump did not need removed but I can tell you it is 100% necessary. If your cts is like mine you will need a right angle air grinder to clean the gasket off. If you are not good with cars do not attempt this job, just pay the $330.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts