Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a local 2004 XLR which looks to be in pretty good shape, except for the driver's side headlamp (see photo). I know about the overheating lamps and resulting crazing (and, in this case, apparently a crack), and it appears parts are tough/impossible to find. Checking with the community here to see if this is the dealbreaker I think it is--I'm not even sure what would happen if I hit a major pothole and that lens broke...

Thanks in advance. 1-xlr headlamps.jpg

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Answering this so it doesn't languish. This XLR forum is for the most part, dead.

This headlight could easily be damaged further by heat and vibration. Should the bezel completely fracture, (and it's well on the way) the pieces would rattle around in the headlight assembly. The DRL light output is already compromised optically due to crazing and cosmetically, because it looks pretty bad. It has two problems that don't have an easy solution. You can't just re-bond the outer headlight cover with RTV, since the original material is an adhesive gray butyl ribbon compound.

Obviously, you can't buy replacement (new) headlight assemblies anymore. You can however, watch eBay and buy a used replacement that even if crazed, will be in better shape then this one. An LED DRL would cut down on the heat which affects the bezel, unless you can find a later-built light from a 2006 or newer, which changed the bezel material eliminating the crazing. You can also source used headlights from salvage yards, though I doubt the XLR market is flush with these.

If you have to have that car, by all means, enjoy it and search for a replacement headlight in the meantime. Maybe you can get the seller to knock a thousand bucks off the purchase price due to the headlight.

If not, there are plenty of XLRs out there and another will turn up more to your liking.

CCC

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hmm, the XLR headlight assy sure looks like the one on my '08 DTS.
Havn't measured anything, but calibrated eyeballing, they look the same.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'm sorry, they're not even close, physically. You can verify this yourself without even getting up from your computer. Just look up and compare the part numbers for each, or compare front views of each vehicle.

CCC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Harry Yarnell