Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Caddy techs out there who can give some insight as to the cost of replacing the chains, guides, tensioners, etc. assuming there isn't any other damage to the engine? I've heard of repair bills upwards of 1500.00 USD!

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bad news. Just got an estimate from the Cadillac garage for $2200+. Needless to say I'll be exploring alternative avenues.

·
Registered
'08 SRX V6
542 Posts
One of the guys on another thread said Autozone had the chain/sprocket set for under $300, I was pretty shocked by that.
I would think you could find a reputable indy for less than half the dealer price.
Sure wouldn't be afraid of aftermarket parts, obviously the OEM stuff is not too good.

DG

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked a few of my local shops about doing the work. Everyone DECLINED the job! Oh well, after doing some research and studying briggy's documentation, I decided to do it myself. I will be using the replacement set from Autozone ($219 special order). It took me about 8-9 hours of work to get everything out of the way and pull the front engine cover. It's not too difficult but there were a few bolts that had me talking to myself. At any rate, I picked up the parts at AZ today along with the rubber gasket that seals the water pump passages behind the front cover ($6 dealer item). Will be replacing the chains, tensioners, etc tomorrow and begin getting it all put back together. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have hit a snag. I know a have the Secondary chains lined up correcton the cams. My question is this: With the inverted tooth primary chain, Do the timing marks line up directly under the colored links, or at the edge of the links as the manual suggests? Does this apply to all three primary marks? Also, Should the white link on the driver side be visible thru the hole in the gear, or lined up behind the white dot painted on the gear? I take it the white link on the RH (passangers) chain goes directly on tp of the white tooth on the gear. I have read "Briggy's" post several times but I'm still unclear as to the proper alignment. If anyone has any definitive info, or know where I can locate reliable diagrams or photos, I will be forever indebted.

·
Registered
2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite
1,185 Posts
haha... dont' ask me... I wouldn't know if I were installing them upside down or not.

Perhaps a GM Mechanic would tell you, if you offered to buy him/her a beer.

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine back together and running smooth. Did have a cam actuator circuit fault on start up, I cleared it and so far it hasn't came back. If anyone is planning on doing the job themselves, check out the documentation by briggy in the cts forum. His posts and pics are a must to review/study. It was a pretty big job but all in all, well worth it. I had about $325 (counting mobil1, filter, plugs, coolant, chain kit) and about 18-20 hours of work, versus $2200+ quoted by the cadillac garage.

·
Registered
2004 SRX 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It began with a noise in the front of the engine. Hard to explain but it sounded like a chain was actually running on metal. At first I thought it was a belt tensioner making noise so I removed the belts and started the engine and the noise was still there. It progressively got worse over the last few months. Finally my wife started the car one morning and it would harldy idle. I drove it to a garage and the code reader showed about a half dozen codes. I don't recall exactly what they were, but there were multiple misfires, cam shaft reluctor fault , etc. I had been researching common engine problems on this site, and with the noise the engine was making, I figured a chain tensioner had went south or a chain had stretched. I bought the kit at autozone for $219.00. It comes with all the chains tensioners and guides. The engine had a roller chain on the primary drive but the kit came with an inverted tooth chain. It's not a terribly complicated job once you get into it. It does take a while to get the alt., PS pump, A/C compressor and brackets out of the way to get to the front cover. All I used was a socket set and some wrenches, and I borrowed wheel pullers for the crank and PS pump. Been driving the car going on a week with no issues. I'll keep an eye on the thread if anyone has any questions.

R

·
0 Posts
We're unable to get the parts set at Auto Zone. They can't piece together the set because they can't get the primary chain or sprockets.

·
Registered
2005 SRX
15 Posts
Mine timing chains (3 of them) and "related parts" were just replaced for $2800. My car only has 76k miles on it. I asked my service advisor if he could open a case for me at GM for assistance paying for it.

He did, and GM paid for $2300 of the $2800. I only paid $500 for it ;-)

And, my car is running like it's brand new. And, the MPG average went up by 2.5 MPG.

I'm very satisfied with the repairs.

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
Autozone has been out of stock on this item almost this entire year (2011). When you add it to your cart on their website and go to checkout, it says "Sorry, the requested quantity for this special order item is not available. Please adjust the quantity."

I need to do this timing chain job on my 2005 and am running into roadblocks sourcing the parts as well. Looks like GM OEM is the only way to go. It is just a pain having to find all the GM part #s and then who knows how much it will add up to. The autozone timing kit seems like a dream - everything you need and a great price. Wish they could get their act together and stock it now!

rdjfx3, have Autozone look up part #76159. Thats the complete kit for timing chains, guides etc.

·
Registered
06 SRX 3.6L 2WD
437 Posts
I need to do this timing chain job on my 2005 and am running into roadblocks sourcing the parts as well. Looks like GM OEM is the only way to go. It is just a pain having to find all the GM part #s and then who knows how much it will add up to. The autozone timing kit seems like a dream - everything you need and a great price.
Keep looking - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Timing-Set-S-A--Gear_20280211-P_166_R%7CGRP60010_1652253699____

1 - 20 of 33 Posts