Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have issues with my magnetic ride/ air assist on my 04 sts. It rides like a dump truck. Hits bumps hard. I have no messages. Mileage is 126k. Put a snap on analyzer and it pumps up the shocks, shows all four sensors at the same voltage. No change in the sensor readings when the compressor starts up. Since the shocks pump up can I assume the shocks are ok? Checked fuses... seem ok. Relay not sure about. I live a long way from caddie dealer and my local techs don’t know much about this suspension. Can you folks give me some ideas of how to proceed? Thanks Ross

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,494 Posts
Hi, I have issues with my magnetic ride/ air assist on my 04 sts. It rides like a dump truck. Hits bumps hard. I have no messages. Mileage is 126k. Put a snap on analyzer and it pumps up the shocks, shows all four sensors at the same voltage. No change in the sensor readings when the compressor starts up. Since the shocks pump up can I assume the shocks are ok? Checked fuses... seem ok. Relay not sure about. I live a long way from caddie dealer and my local techs don’t know much about this suspension. Can you folks give me some ideas of how to proceed? Thanks Ross
===================
you are talking about - and dealing with TWO completely different - and unrelated - systems -
WITHIN the same shocks -
ya - I know it's confusing -

OK the air-assist part of the rear shocks simply raises the BODY of the car -
to compensate for weight in the back seat and/or trunk -
the air bladders DO NOT change the smoothness or stiffness of the ride -

so - IF you trigger the compressor - and the rear end raises -
YES - the air-assist part of the shocks is still good -

the BAD NEWS is that the MagnaRide part of the shocks is what stops the springs from bouncing -
and stiffens or softens the ride -
and THAT sounds like the problem you are having -

unfortunately - there is no way to "fix" these shocks - or just replace parts of them -
your only option is to replace them -
YUP - you MUST replace them in pairs -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,052 Posts
Yep ^ ^ ^ The ELC has nothing to do with shock stiffness.

The F55 Magnetic Ride Control struts/shocks receive inputs from over a dozen sensors to control suspension action and make changes in less than .001 second. The system can go from soft to rock hard instantly, depending on driving and road conditions.

Use the sticky thread up there on the main Seville page ^^^ - "How to pull codes" - the correct model/year instructions - and see if there are any C (Chassis) codes set. You may have a faulty sensor or wiring that is causing the suspension to "go hard".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts