Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving your PM to the forum because I think it may have wider interest plus others may have worthwhile input-
Hello, I am sorry to bug you but I was reading your posts on the topic of trans fluid and stuff like that.. I am having a problem with my 04 SRX 3.6 AWD.. I changed transfer case fluid, trans fluid and both differential fluids.. Truck is driving better but feels like its locking up sometimes on highway..almost like someone stepping on brake slightly.. I read what you said about refilling trans fluid with truck running.. I did not do that.. I will def check that out.. Do you think its safe or will even help for me to disconnect front driveshaft to try to isolate my problem? The front diff had a ton of metal on magnetic bolt but I dont really know how to tell if my problem is trans, diffs or transfer case.. The dealer sold me Dex VI for transfer case..Is that correct? Thanks for any info or advice..Charlie
SM says manual transmission fluid for transfer case. Dex VI is probably OK.

I remember reading that if front differential goes you loose all drive force so removing front driveshaft may not work. I'm sure others with direct experience will chime in.

I would think underfilling transmission would cause slipping but you never know. The jerking I think sounds more like transfer case, but the metal in the front differential doesn't sound good. If you got the front wheels off the ground and disconnected the drive shaft, look for excessive slop or bearing noise (with manual rotation). No fun if you have to replace it.

Transfer case problems (stretched chain) seem to appear as ratcheting noise under hard acceleration.

Let's see what others have to offer.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
The center diff is open so if you disconnect the driveshaft the car will not move.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
957 Posts
When I dropped the trans. pan to change filter about 4 1/2 qts of fluid was needed to refill. It started to run out the fill hole after about 1 qt. To get the remaining 3+ qts in the engine was run.... so you could be at least 3 qts low in trans. fluid if the engine wasn't running when you refilled. You mentioned the truck runs better but did these problems arise after the fluid change? Any case as a first step you should properly fill the trans.

·
Registered
1996 STS 2000 Deville
309 Posts
thank you all for your replies..Initially my sister was complaining truck was not shifting right..honestly I didnt drive it at that time..I def should have..After changing the trans fluid she complained about it taking to much effort on the gas pedal to get truck moving..Thats when we did the diff fluids and transfer case fluids which def made a difference in the way its driving but something still wacky..I will try to refill transmission properly as the first step

1 - 4 of 4 Posts