Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'04 SRX Northstar V-8 AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I did search this topic and did not see an answer...:bigroll:)

I have an '04 SRX and she runs great and is an excellent vehicle. The only issue I have is with the rear high mount brake light (or 3rd brake light). It does not illuminate when I hit the brakes. The side brake lights work just fine. I have seen discussions regarding replacement and that being expensive due to having to remove the entire liftgate to perform the work.

Questions:

1) Since the entire light is out, might there be a fuse I could check to see if that is the problem? If so, where is the fuse that I would need to check?

2) Are there directions here on the site to swap out the entire LED unit if the unit itself is indeed the problem?

Thank you in advance for your time and for this excellent site!

- VRSCRxr

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
There is a 20A fuse labeled "BASS" for that, in the left rear fuse block. Also a relay, same label.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Some of these units can short out due to water working its way in through the roof area. If so, you may see some moisture inside the unit. If it is replaced, it will short out again fairly quickly. A permanent fix is either to seal the roof area (which can be challenging) or drill two tiny holes in the LED housing at the bottom and sloping downward. You have to be really careful that you do not hit electronics inside, but it keeps the moisture out. I did mine with the smallest drill bit I had and have not seen any moisture in the unit since and the holes are not noticeable even up close.

NOTE TO ALL: consider doing this if you have moisture in the unit and once you have the holes drilled (VERY CAREFULLY), use a wet vac on one of the holes to suck the moisture out. It might save you from having the entire unit down the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. There is (presently) no moisture in the LED housing and I have not noticed any there in the past.

Does anybody have a walk through or directions on swapping the unit out?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I can give you instructions if it comes to that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thank you! :) I shall rule out the fuse possibility first. Is the fuse for the high mount LED brake light dedicated only to the high mount LED light?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Looks that way but who knows?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the Owner's Manual and that 20A fuse labeled BASS covers: tail lamps, center high mounted stop lamp, flasher module, ABS module, and trailer lamps. None of the other items aside from the center high mounted stop lamp is presenting issues, so pretty sure it is not the fuse.

So, that being said, what is involved in pulling the High Mount LED Brake Light with the intent of replacing it?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The SM says to remove the liftgate, but I say why, other than for less reaching while removing the light assy.
1. Remove the trim panel, 1 screw in hand hold then it pulls off, 1 connector for light.
2. Unplug connector for CMHSL and test white wire for 12V on brake application. If no voltage stop, problem is elsewhere.
3. Remove CHMSL bolts, pry assy. away from body with flat bladed tool. If weatherstrip is glued on, use Q tip soaked with alcohol to loosen. If you keep it clean it will re-glue when put together.
4. Dissemble and replace as needed.

That should do it. Let me know if you need more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Good Sir! I have this next week off and will work on it then. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
1 - No gate removal required
2 - careful on interior panel removal, bottom half are blade clips.. top half are round
3- great time to change out backup light bulbs/plate light bulbs

·
Registered
2004 srx
3 Posts
My 2004 light went out. After checking fuse I checked for a pinched ( cut ) wire. On the drivers side of the hatch at the top there is a rubber boot , easy to remove from body and by disconnecting the two wire connectors you can remove the boot allowing ease in taking off the black electrical tap sure enough "bang" cut wire quick work solider back a little tape and good as new. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'07 - 3.6l SRX RWD, '16 - 2.5l Subaru Outback, '95 - 4.3l S10 pu
958 Posts
My 2004 light went out. After checking fuse I checked for a pinched ( cut ) wire. On the drivers side of the hatch at the top there is a rubber boot , easy to remove from body and by disconnecting the two wire connectors you can remove the boot allowing ease in taking off the black electrical tap sure enough "bang" cut wire quick work solider back a little tape and good as new. Hope this helps.
This is a good suggestion. I had to repair a broken tailgate wire in my Envoy for this reason. Identifying the culprit wasn't easy until I tugged on all of them and it pulled apart.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
209 Posts
I had mine replaced at the dealer years ago. They removed the panel which goes along the top of tailgate for some reason. When my wife first opened the tailgate the panel evidently was reinstalled wrong and caused it to get bent up. They replaced it and their excuse was that they were not aware about a service bulletin on the assembly specifying that some mounting holes on the panel were to be elongated before assembly. Just a word of warning!:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
That's the "third brake light". Sorry, didn't see there was a page 2; gettin' old.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,529 Posts
You might want to go into the Settings tab - upper right - and maybe change your post view per page number - and set your view preferences to "view latest threads/posts first" - that way you see this (latest) post at the top of your posts page instead of at the bottom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts