Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, on my 2004 Srx 3.6L, awd- when putting on the defroster (this time of year in PA), the cooling fans cycle on and off too frequently. On for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds. No trouble codes, no overheating or driveability issues. It wouldn't be a problem except that the fans are very loud, almost so if you were standing in front of the car you would not be able to have a conversation with someone else while standing there. These fans are louder than the one on my race car. Is this "normal"? I know when the A/C charge gets low, electric cooling fanc cycle more often than normal, I don't have manifold gauges to check it. Just want to check here if there is a known problem before I start digging. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
When set on defrost, the AC is on so it sounds as if your Freon is low.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,098 Posts
It is also possible that if the weather is cool, the A/C is short cycling because the pressure/temperature of the evaporator drops so quickly that the compressor has to cut out. Now I honestly wouldn't expect the fans to also short cycle and certainly not a high speed. So not sure what that is all about. High speed fans should be linked to condenser pressure but I'm not 100% sure how the PCM does the cooling fans on these cars yet.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts to the volume of noise on these 04 srx fans? These fans are really loud. I would like to find someone locally to hear the noise level of their fan to compare it to. I would hate to order a new fan assembly to have the exact same noise problem. Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts