Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I searched around and didn't see this on here, so I apologize if it is a repeat: Everyone here mentions Mobil 1 (as well as on the oil fill cap), but has anyone had a problem using anything except Mobil 1? Advanced Auto has their oil change specials, but of course not on Mobil 1. I have always used Castrol EDGE on my Volkswagen with no trouble. So, has anyone had any problems using Valvoline SynPower or Castrol EDGE full synthetic? I don't want my oil consumption problem to get any worse. Thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 for the first few oil changed since I purchased the car. But for the past few times I have purchased my local shops own GM certified brand. And not had any problems for the past 3000 miles. In fact the oil seems cleaner than the Mobil when I drain it out. Maybe they have more cleaner additives in the Mobil.
Plus it's almost half the price to use the own brand stuff. Regular oil change every 6 months as I don't do much mileage. And filter change every 12 as they seem to deteriorate. Car seems to like it. And it's only a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
The biggest question is whether you have any powertrain warranty. If you use a non-GM4715 compliant oil, you will likely void the (extended) warranty. Most owners use Mobil-1, but there are few others that are of equal quality (e.g. royal purple). Most of these high-end synthetic oils are expensive.

If you are not planning to keep the car much longer or it is down on its last legs anyway, there are other oil alternatives that might work.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
There is quite a list of GM-approved oils - this took about 0.5 seconds on Google............... (of course, the engine builder has no idea of what their engine needs - aftermarketers and opinions will tell you what to buy.)

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
1,968 Posts
I would bet any oil that passes the GM spec will be fine...if you are in the States and near a Wal-Mart...I've never seen Mobil 1 cheaper than their 5 quart jugs at a bit over $26...

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts