Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time I put the car in gear the rear end pops. for example if I go from park to drive it will make a pop in the rear end. it also does it when the transmission downshifts and I give it more throttle it will pop. anyone know what It possibly might be.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
every time I put the car in gear the rear end pops. for example if I go from park to drive it will make a pop in the rear end. it also does it when the transmission downshifts and I give it more throttle it will pop. anyone know what It possibly might be.
You need a new differential bushing lots of threads here on it.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are those considered the driveshaft couplers. I replaced them when I got a transmission installed they came off a car at a junkyard. would you say replace them again but with new ones. although the ones I put in there looked decent

·
Registered
688 Posts
Are those considered the driveshaft couplers. I replaced them when I got a transmission installed they came off a car at a junkyard. would you say replace them again but with new ones. although the ones I put in there looked decent
No. It is a $20 Cadillac part or you can use a creative steel one or revshift. It is in the top front of you're differential. If you are going to install it yourself the creative steel tool they rent out is a must.

Google CTS rear differential bushing or go to creative steels web site.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good I looked on creative steels website and not bad price. is it hard to do it myself? How long will it take? and any special tools required?

·
Registered
688 Posts
sounds good I looked on creative steels website and not bad price. is it hard to do it myself? How long will it take? and any special tools required?
Did you see the R/R tool at creative steel?

Back the car on ramps. I did not remove the drive shaft from the differential. Presoak the two large BACK differential bolts. Then loosen them. Those two bolts are easy to get back in if you leave them part way in and use the jack to slowly raise the differential back in place when you are done. The hard part with those bolts is to get them torqued with my torque wrench. On the ramps it did not leave me enough clearance with the large torque wrench and my small doesn't go high LBS enough if, I recall 240 torque ft pounds.

How I tightened them is the heaviest 1/2 ratchet I had and put both my feet against the wheel and ramp and used all my strength.
I think I got them good and tight that was almost a year ago.

At the other end (front) the R/R tool is a must. Ask for the new version it has a nut so you can keep tightening the new bushing in without having to stop and take it off and restart because of there being very little room.

With loosening the two back bolts and removing the bolt from the old worn out D/B you have enough room to do the job without removing anything else like dropping the drive shaft.

It took me about 2 1/2 hours but I work slow.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looked on their website and I saw everything I needed, should be able to do it myself do you think it will be easier if I use jack stands. Also when you rented the tool did you get your money back.

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
I just did this today. Used jack stands, and I used a jab saw to make a cut in the old bushing front to back, then tapped it out. A sawzall would have taken a lot less time. I took the driveshaft loose too, three bolts at the flex disc and two at the carrier bearing so you can slide it forward. The C S bushing went in really easily with a hammer and a piece of plastic pipe. Made a huge difference. I bought that block from them too that fits above the differential.

·
Registered
688 Posts
looked on their website and I saw everything I needed, should be able to do it myself do you think it will be easier if I use jack stands. Also when you rented the tool did you get your money back.
Yes it is a deposit of $200 on a credit card and when they received the tool back they credited my card right away they are a GREAT company.

----------

I used the OEM bushing from Cadillac with out the tool almost impossible to put back in the diff with it attached to the car, very tight. It took 5-10 minutes with the tool pushing it in.

I went with the stock bushing because it lasted over 125000 miles and all the other parts are all still stock. I thought they are made softer and weaker for a reason, less noise smoother shifts less wear and tear on the whole drive train and a harder creative steel or revshift bushing could throw everything off or make the old parts wear out???

I don't know but the OEM worked great and no noise for almost a year now.:yup:

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so are you saying it sounds like a better idea with getting a bushing from the dealership or from creative steel

·
Registered
2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum
374 Posts
I just put in the creative steel and couldn't be happier. No noticeable noise or vibration at all, went in super easy. I picked up one at the dealer got it home, looked at it, promptly ordered one from creative steel. The GM one looked so cheap, it's not even filled with rubber all the way around and made in some third world country. The cs one the center is bronze or brass with a machined looking polished sleeve. Anyone interested in a GM bushing? Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts