Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
This is my first post, but I'm very excited to have found your forum, and all of you experience.
My first question has to do with remote keyless entry, and other features listed in the vehicle specs for my '04 DHS.
Should I have received at least one keyfob when I took delivery ?
If I have to purchase replacement due to loss (or whatever else happens to used car parts), are they readily available? If so, are they capable of "learning" the car, or does this require dealer
reprogramming?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer! It will be greatly appreciated.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,804 Posts
welcome to the forums. You can do a search (search box is top of this page, right side) on "program keyfob" or something like that. It's a shame you didn't get any key fobs. As I recall, programming the fobs to the car requires a mechanic with a Tech II scanner. If you buy the fobs and programming from the dealer expect to open your wallet.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
When the car was new it would have come with 2 fobs. One for driver 1 and one for driver 2 (you can choose to have driver memory recalled when either of the fobs are used to unlock the car).

Replacements are readily available on eBay. The 1 or 2 embossed in the plastic is for identification purposes only, the fobs are identical. The first fob paired is driver 1, the second is driver 2. Additional fobs can be paired but will not correspond to driver memory.

A TECH II scan tool is required to pair the fobs, and all fobs must be present. Any GM dealership can do this for you, and rarely, an independent shop or specialized locksmith.

----------

BTW, :welcome:

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
Here's the part numbers off my 04 Deville's fobs...

#1 is 25695954
#2 is 25695955

You can usually find them on ebay $10-$15 each.

As MC pointed out either part number will work, the only difference is the number on the back of the fob.

Any GM dealer can program the fobs... last time I called around I was quoted $95, $65, and free.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Folks!
Looks like I'll be using the key for a while unless I find someone with a tech II scanner and a soft heart.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
You should have received 2 key fobs - engraved 1 and 2 on the back. Three keys - two identical black keys and a gray Valet Key.

The Valet key is mechanically different from the black keys - it will not fit the glove box or trunk locks. You set the Valet Switch in the glove box, close and lock it with a black key. Now the Trunk and Fuel Door buttons are disabled and you give the valet key to the parking attendant. They cannot then get into the glove box or trunk or use the pushbuttons to open the fuel door or trunk.

For our year group of cars the keys have a transponder in the plastic head. The keys are not "programmed" with your personal settings - the fobs and car personalization systems are. You set your personalization preferences using fob 1, the DIC and door buttons. Now, when you unlock the car using fob 1 it thinks "Here he comes.". You get in and stick your key in the ignition lock cylinder. The car thinks "Here he is." and adjusts to your preferences. Same sequence with fob 2. Different settings for different driver, same recognition sequence. You can trade black keys to your heart's content - it's the fobs that send the initial personalization message.

New (replacement) keys are programmed to be recognized by the system using the procedure in the owner's manual or ask a dealer service rep. I believe that our cars can have as many as 10 keys. And the procedure is in Tech Tips.

When all else fails, read the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
9 Posts
Stop at a good locksmith. I once needed a chip key for my ford Taurus. He made me one for $50. took 10 minutes. I did not give him a key to copy.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again,
This is a new reply to my previous post.

I've found a YouTube video that shows and describes a technique for programing GM remotes by placing a jumper into the obd scanner outlet under the dash.

Have any of you brave souls tried to do this on a 2000 or newer DeVille? Mine is an '04DHS.

The used car dealer that I bought from said he would call in a favor from a Cadillac dealer friend, but I'm only home on weekends for the next few months, so I just thought I'd do it myself if possible........but I have doubts.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Frank

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Not possible. Needs to be done with a TECH II scan tool. And GM dealer can do it, all fobs you plan to use must be present. The first one paired will be driver 1, second driver 2, all others will not be driver memory specific.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Not possible. Needs to be done with a TECH II scan tool. And GM dealer can do it, all fobs you plan to use must be present. The first one paired will be driver 1, second driver 2, all others will not be driver memory specific.
============================:yeah:
you don't program the remote -
you program the car to recognize the remote -

when you go to ebay to buy 2 remotes -
be absolutely - 100% positive you purchase -
#25695954 and/or #25695955 -

yes - you can purchase 2 of the same number -

the first remote matched to the car becomes DRIVER #1 -
and the second remote matched to the car becomes DRIVER #2 -

those are the ONLY remotes that WILL work -
regardless of what the ebay listings might say -

·
Registered
2005 Deville
21 Posts
I'm not trying to challenge basscat, but I did order Chinese knockoff remotes from ebay that had no part numbers and were half the cost of OEM. Had them programmed for $20 and they work great. Just putting this out there as a possible option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts