Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there -

Bought an 04 AWD model last September with 27,000 miles. Last few days I've noticed front end rubbing, grinding, when giving gas. Changed diff oil and magnet was clotted with thick oil and metal shavings. Looks like I have a failing front differential. I'm sure many of you have dealt with this, but I have some questions for those who may have just gone through this.

1. How much time do I have to deal with this? This truck is my wife's, she only puts a few miles on it every day (taking my son to school and pickup).
2. There are rebuilt units all over eBay and online. Anyone here use this lately and can make a recommendation? If not, what should I look for / questions to ask if I look for a rebuilt unit?
3. If I consider a DIY rebuild, can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit?

Thanks much.

PS: Yes the truck really has less than 30k miles. Previous owner was an Army medic so truck was in storage during his numerous deployments.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow - no response on this one.

It looks like I am going to order the rebuild kit and have someone rebuild it for me. There are kits out there for between $85 and $200 - with Timken, Koyo bearings, etc. They all seem to include the same "items" in the kit. Is one brand of bearings better than another??

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
kckranz said:
Wow - no response on this one. It looks like I am going to order the rebuild kit and have someone rebuild it for me. There are kits out there for between $85 and $200 - with Timken, Koyo bearings, etc. They all seem to include the same "items" in the kit. Is one brand of bearings better than another??
I would think they are pretty much the same

1 - 3 of 3 Posts