Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling to find the location of the "30 amp Maxi fuse", for my 2004 Escalade ESV. So, I did some thing dumb and put jumper cables on the battery. They weren't my cables and the hardest were not insulated. They touched together and my beautiful Cadillac hasn't started since. It was throwing "Throttle Position", codes. I went to the dealer and he told me that in this situation it is common for the maxi fuse to blow. I cannot locate it. 3 fuse boxes, so far and no maxi fuse. If anyone can clue me in I would appreciate it so very much.
Thank You,
Todd

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am struggling to find the location of the "30 amp Maxi fuse", for my 2004 Escalade ESV. So, I did some thing dumb and put jumper cables on the battery. They weren't my cables and the hardest were not insulated. They touched together and my beautiful Cadillac hasn't started since. It was throwing "Throttle Position", codes. I went to the dealer and he told me that in this situation it is common for the maxi fuse to blow. I cannot locate it. 3 fuse boxes, so far and no maxi fuse. If anyone can clue me in I would appreciate it so very much.
Thank You,
Todd
No the maxi fuse isn’t the name of fuse it’s the type it called maxi for the big fuses but your car is a little different. I would try checking the fuses I have highlighted. If all the fuses are good then remove the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes then reconnect it and try starting it. If you replace fuses and try starting and it doesn’t work check the fuel pump, O2, and ignition fuses or check all of them, better safe than sorry. If all the fuses are good and you have tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and reconnecting then trying to start it and it still won’t start it’s either a bad battery or you have fried one of the module but frying the modules is rare but not impossible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You,
Todd
Thanks Cameron, I'll let you know how it works out. Really appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the maxi fuse isn’t the name of fuse it’s the type it called maxi for the big fuses but your car is a little different. I would try checking the fuses I have highlighted. If all the fuses are good then remove the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes then reconnect it and try starting it. If you replace fuses and try starting and it doesn’t work check the fuel pump, O2, and ignition fuses or check all of them, better safe than sorry. If all the fuses are good and you have tried disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and reconnecting then trying to start it and it still won’t start it’s either a bad battery or you have fried one of the module but frying the modules is rare but not impossible.
So, I replaced the battery and found 1 bad 30 amp fuse in "rrhvac" location", still turning over but not starting.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
588 Posts
There is a Mega fuse is on the front of dash (firewall) on the passengers side. One of the positive battery cables runs to it. It is in a rectangular plastic holder. Could that be what you are looking for?
Just a suggestion. Disconnect the battery negative cable, wait 5 minutes, and reconnect. Sevif that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a Mega fuse is on the front of dash (firewall) on the passengers side. One of the positive battery cables runs to it. It is in a rectangular plastic holder. Could that be what you are looking for?
Just a suggestion. Disconnect the battery negative cable, wait 5 minutes, and reconnect. Sevif that helps.
Thanks, it is turning over but not starting. The guy at Cadillac showed me where it calls for the maxi fuse,, no location was shown for it. I found one today,, "small square one" and replaced it. No change. I'm told, by Cadillac that if it was the "Mega fuse" it wouldn't turn over. I am almost to the point of having it looked at at the dealer. If no luck figuring it out, over the weekend. I'll post whatever solution turns out to be the one!🤔

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only other 2 things that I can think of is either a bad starter or bad fuel pump. Maybe just coincidence that one of these broke during this time.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When starting the the car hold the gas pedal down and if it starts let off of the pedal. If it starts then dies hold the gas pedal for 5 seconds after it starts then let off gradually.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I read something that says one of the most problems is a vehicle cranks but doesn’t start can be a bad relay and I think I know which one. Relay number 5 is probably blown and is highlighted. Also try checking the other fuses I highlighted.
B849C24D-6559-43B3-976F-8C0105BAED81.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only other 2 things that I can think of is either a bad starter or bad fuel pump. Maybe just coincidence that one of these broke during this time.
Yep, next thing I'm going to check and see if maybe, I might have a fuel pump "reset", I had a navigator that that happened to. It hadn't crossed my mind until today, as the Escalade turns over, and tried to catch once today. Right then I thought Wow this is a feul problem, as in not getting any. Thanks so much for support. More shall be revealed 😉

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yep, next thing I'm going to check and see if maybe, I might have a fuel pump "reset", I had a navigator that that happened to. It hadn't crossed my mind until today, as the Escalade turns over, and tried to catch once today. Right then I thought Wow this is a feul problem, as in not getting any. Thanks so much for support. More shall be revealed 😉
Try replacing relay 5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read something that says one of the most problems is a vehicle cranks but doesn’t start can be a bad relay and I think I know which one. Relay number 5 is probably blown and is highlighted. Also try checking the other fuses I highlighted. View attachment 593041
Wow, I switched that relay with the ignition one, just to test if the ignition one was bad. Tomorrow I'm going buy replacement relays. Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow, I switched that relay with the ignition one, just to test if the ignition one was bad. Tomorrow I'm going buy replacement relays. Thanks
When you switched it with a different relay did it start at all or do anything different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you switched it with a different relay did it start at all or do anything different.
[/QUOTI was following potential consequences of one event, cables grounding out, when it was the initial event , jack failure,, that cut 2 ground wires that I had not seen until today. I was able to test and repair. Everything is GREAT! THANK You so much, for you help and support!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts