Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac '04 DTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my local mechanic change the front right hub bearing last week due to minor shakiness reaching over 60 mile speed. All was ok for two days and now the ABS and TRACTION CONTROL remains lit when I start the car.

I took the car back and he hooked up this gadget that reads the code and came back with C1221. He tells me that I need to change the Front Left bearing hub also!!
There is no movement or shaking or any noise heard from the Front Left tire at all!

I would appreciate your idea as to what may be the cause of the ABS and Traction control lights staying on.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
Check the multi-pin connector at the inner face of the wheel bearing capsule assembly.

Look at the pictures of a bearing capsule for your car in www.rockauto.com, get to your car, and click on the (!) icon for a larger view.
For your car the third example, Timken, shows the rear of the assembly.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
If that connector is plugged in and the contacts are clean, then you probably will have to change the hub and bearing assembly.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,046 Posts
The wheel bearings, wheel hub, studs, and sensors are all integrated into a unitized capsule - there are no separate parts. Go back to RockAuto and get to your car, and look at front wheel bearing capsules. The third item is a Timken unit, and clicking on the picture shows the sensor connector at the back of the capsule. You may have found the male connector itself - $35 or so ??

The wheel speed sensors transmit EACH wheel's speed to the engine controls systems. You are checking the electrical integrity of the LF and RF wheel speed sensor connectors.

If you check all your sensor connections one of two things need to be done - either drive the car normally for a couple of days and, if you have cured the problem, the light(s) will go out, or the other option is to pull your DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the car's built-in system and manually clear the ABS/Traction module codes yourself.

·
Registered
Cadillac '04 DTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you for you quick response. how do i manually clear the ABS/Traction module codes myself?

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
I' ll make this easy... below is a picture of the Timken part# 513179 Hub that you need to check/clean the connector on. If that doesn't fix it you need to change the hub it's $95.03 at Amazon.com with free shipping.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Thanks you for you quick response. how do i manually clear the ABS/Traction module codes myself?
Look at the sticky at the top of the Deville forum titled "How to Pull Codes" that will tell you how to pull them and how to clear them.

·
Registered
deville
41 Posts
look at your hub assemblys on both sides if everyting is plugged in one of the hub assemblys is done buy complete unit they come with abs sensor mounted on them...make sure your mechanic or person of choice that installs does not over titen them or you will have same problem or worse a real bad scoreing sound shattered bearing that will void your warranty...by expierance you should change in pairs.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
I changed the right side on my '92 at 75K. Never changed the left side and traded it at 125K. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. These are not items that get changed in pairs.

·
Registered
deville
41 Posts
ranger your correct you dont have to but again it all depends on how you feel about the car and if you really want to fix the problem for good.me my self i drive alot and i really belive in even wear and tear....in the ones i have done within weeks i end up changing the other side but than again i live in pot hole city good old chicago and streets here are horrible,also i know these bearings are costly quality is a factor as well cheap china made under 100 each bca natinal timken is what i would reconmend but for those just looking for a quick fix replace one hopefully that will resolve you.

·
Registered
Cadillac '04 DTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I did per instruction from the link and the lights went out, took the car for a ride to run some errand. 20 minutes later when I started the car the lights are back on again!! tried the process again and no luck!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
You have to fix the problem or the message just keeps coming back. Clearing the codes only clears it until the fault is detected again.

·
Registered
Cadillac '04 DTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to mention that the ABS code I get is # C1232 - Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted.

·
Registered
1995 eldorado
3 Posts
Hi guys (and girls?!)
Since we are on the topic, I have a 95 Eldorado I just picked up. First time Northstar owner..ugh! Wow I have some issues.
Head gasket for one. Amazing how an intermittent bubble in the coolant will be such an expense.
However my "ABS" light and "Traction Control Disabled" are on steady and no 1st gear. I understand these are usually all related. I pulled a current code and it is "T037" which defines as LR wheel speed sensor continuity fault.
Where would I start looking for correction?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts