Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a few threads about broken knee bolster but I need more detail I think :). I just bought a 2004 DTS with night vision (super clean) but not only is the knee bolster broken and needs replacement (NLA and I need one for night vision in shale) but the plastic on the dash that holds the knee bolster seems to be broken as well. Any repair kits or best practices to fix this? I think I can find a replacement bolster but the dash is what I am really worried about. Looks like maybe some of the dash is replaceable in sections but I can't tell for sure, the parts diaghrams are confusing to look at around that area.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
647 Posts
the part of the dash that the knee bolster and all the other trim is attached to is called a carrier it goes from door to door and comes out in one piece after all the other stuff is removed, and that being a DTS the center console has to come out to. I took mine apart several years ago. It's a bit of a pita.

15734506f912620c2b5e5654fc849c4d.jpg

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to know. Thanks..

·
Registered
2003 DHS
88 Posts
I'm not sure how many of the pieces you have of the plastic tabs, but I've had pretty good luck with gluing all the pieces back together with the plastic epoxy they sell at the auto parts place. I've been looking at the junk yard around me for trim pieces but all the Devilles if I find the trim seems to be in too rough of shape to save.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,720 Posts
common issue, broken tabs on the knee bolster, usually because someone pulled down to remove it, rather than pulling straight back. I, too, have made repairs with epoxy along with finding one at the Men's Mall that I could scavenge parts from. If you go for used parts, look at the tabs & clips to be sure they're intact.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,638 Posts
common issue, broken tabs on the knee bolster, usually because someone pulled down to remove it, rather than pulling straight back.
I had that happen AT A DEALERSHIP, while in for warranty work. They also scratched the wood grain steering wheel. That "tech" didn't last long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts