Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
PREVIOUS 00DTS,04DTS,04DTS,03CTS,07CTS CURRENT 07STS4 09CTS4
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, its been a long time I haven't posted on here I guess because everything has been well hope same for most of you.

about 2 weeks ago I started getting a "check gas cap" msg I tightened the cap and it still showed up then the SES light came on I pulled the codes and got a "PO496 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge" what does that exactly mean? lol

I checked the forums for this code didnt find anything....I'm guessing it just needs a new gas cap but just wanted to know if you guys think any different? I'm selling the car tomorrow afternoon so I need to figure out the problem.

Any help is always appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
908 Posts
If new gas cap doesn't fix it, check the EVAP purge valve on the back of the throttle-body. That valve is supposed to be closed at all times when the EVAP system is not purging, but it will leak if broken. You can take it off & try blowing air through it. If it allows air through it needs to be replaced. About $15 on eBay and elsewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts