Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
PREVIOUS 00DTS,04DTS,04DTS,03CTS,07CTS CURRENT 07STS4 09CTS4
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy, I pulled the car yesterday from its winter sleep and got "service electrical system" then a TC light. Tail lights still light up normal and blinkers and hazards still work. Once I hit the brakes nothing from any of the lights.
Pulled this code.
C1291 - Open Brake Lamp Switch Contacts During Deceleration

From reading on here seems like something to do with the brake light switch? Some are saying it's the actual brake light.
Does anyone know which one is more likely?

As always all help is much appreciated from the caddy family.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,455 Posts
The brake light switch is "self adjusting" in the snap-in bracket at the top of the brake pedal arm. Check it for integrity and electrical contact. (A faulty switch will also occasionally cause Cruise Control to drop out) Also, check the trunk lid wiring harness where it exits the left trunk lid hinge bracket channel - inside the plastic trim. They tend to chafe and break there. Check the harness body ground at the left rear fenderwell body metal, under the carpet. Two body ground boxes down in the lower rear fenderwell quarters - under and below the flooring panels out in the fenders.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Submariner409 said:
The brake light switch is "self adjusting" in the snap-in bracket at the top of the brake pedal arm. Check it for integrity and electrical contact. (A faulty switch will also occasionally cause Cruise Control to drop out) Also, check the trunk lid wiring harness where it exits the left trunk lid hinge bracket channel - inside the plastic trim. They tend to chafe and break there. Check the harness body ground at the left rear fenderwell body metal, under the carpet. Two body ground boxes down in the lower rear fenderwell quarters - under and below the flooring panels out in the fenders.

Thanks for the reply Sub, yes I forgot to add in the cruise control doesn't work either...does that change the break down for this a bit?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got to check it out got into the foot well and removed the plastic cover. So it did end up being the brake light seri h think God pulled it out and just played with the switch a bit put it back in so far so good. I was in a bit of a rush so if the problem comes up again I will adjust the switch a bit more. Those connector are tough to get off, I couldn't do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts