Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ATS Standard; (RIP) 2004 Sedan Deville
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A couple of nights ago, I heard a strange whining/humming sound coming from my 2004 Deville. At first, I thought it was a Japanese exhaust or motorcycle, driving in front of me in traffic. After testing on some vacant roads, I realized it is coming from my car--I think the front end.

It is only noticeable above 20mph and becomes louder as speed increases, however it is not loud by any means.

Does this sound like a wheel bearing is going?

How much does a wheel bearing replacement typically cost?

Thanks,

-dr3wski

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,064 Posts
IF it's a wheel bearing hub assembly (no separate bearings) then a good Timken or SKF unit is about ??? $60 ??? at RockAuto (discounted). Labor is intense and bloody. Mom&Pop shop - $200/$250 - GM dealership - $350 - retail parts pricing.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
Find a section of straight road with little or no traffic and when you hear the noise, at a safe speed perform some slow swerves left and right. Nothing quick, slow sweeping swerves and listen of the noise goes away or gets worse when you swerve one way or the other. If while swerving to the left the noise gets louder then goes away when you swerve to the right then it's most likely the right front wheel hub bearing and visa versa. If no change while swerving then it could be one of several things like the engine belt idler or tensioner pulley bearing, alternator bearing, AC pulley bearing. etc.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
I have been hearing some sort of whirring sound when driving that gets louder as I get faster, but "tops out" around 30 mph, as if I am running in grooves in pavement in my '91 Deville, but it seems like it started after I rotated the tires. The tires on there have super tread, but are aging. I think it is coming from the tires on my car, but who knows. Do you think maybe it could be your tires? Is the air pressure ok in them?

·
Registered
2018 ATS Standard; (RIP) 2004 Sedan Deville
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound is noticeable when I am going straight and when I am making a right turn. It seems to go away while making left turns, so I am thinking that this is a left-front wheel bearing hub assembly.

I am going to call shops this week and go with whomever I feel comfortable with.

Thanks for the information, as always and let me know if there is anything else I should look out for with this issue!

-dr3wski

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
If it goes away when making a left turn, it's the right side. When you turn left, the weight shifts left and unloads the right bearing, thus it quiets up.
Ranger, I think you have that backwards. When you turn left it loads the right side.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
:bang2: I'll delete the post and punch my dumbshit card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts