·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,164 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1999 Deville Concours
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited by Moderator)
DELPHI is/was/may be a HUGE parts and development division of GM. Google it.

For coil cassette pricing look in www.rockauto.com

A Northstar will go forever with proper maintenance. Stuff does wear out, and it takes a while of ownership to find out WHAT stuff.

If you haven't yet replaced the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley, do it yesterday.

Your P 0304 code pointed to #4 cylinder, the left (front) bank - the easiest of the two cassettes to replace. The right (rear)(black one) takes 3 times as long due to other parts interference.

Here's the ignition cassette setup for the 2000 - 2003 Northstar FWD engines. Right and left bank cassettes are identical except for color.

View attachment 575284 View attachment 575286
My water pump was replaced last year, so that's all taken care of. I also had an expensive repair done to the transmission a few years ago. They replaced a solenoid, if I recall correctly, and said that it was so expensive because of the difficulty of getting to that part. Everyone gives me the impression that Cadillacs aren't easy to work on because of the layout of everything under the hood.

It's annoying that I had to buy everything in your picture above just to get the number four coil that was defective. I don't see why it has to be that way. The manufacturers have obviously done this to charge as much as possible for their products.

Does the word "cassette" refer to the holder for the coils? Some of these specific names amuse me, just like when I had to buy rear quarter extensions for my 1985 Cadillac. I realized back then that I had to learn the lingo in order to communicate effectively with the people in the parts department!

============================
I'm familiar with AC Delco but not with Delphi spare parts.
Delphi is a major supplier for OEM parts

Do some people get their own spare parts and take them to the shop?
YES - some shops will agree to install "your-supplied-parts" - BUT -
you must understand that there IS a "risk" involved -

the agreement is that that shop installs the parts CORRECTLY - one time -
and that is the end of the deal -

IF that part goes bad in two days - the shop is NOT responsible -
so YOU would have to obtain a replacement part - AND pay for labor again -
So I don't feel too bad now about having the shop get the spare parts for me. I like the idea of having them be accountable for anything that goes wrong once the part has been put on.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
"Lingo" - you might want to study the sticky thread "Acronyms" in the threads at the top of this forum main page - stickies - marked with a push pin - timeless info.

If you look at Post #19 again you'll see that the coil/case assembly for the 2000 - 2003 Northstar is one piece - the coils are built and epoxy encapsulated into the single case(tte).

"cassette" is used in some references in the Cadillac/GM service manuals. A 3 or 4 coil assembly.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
My water pump was replaced last year, so that's all taken care of. I also had an expensive repair done to the transmission a few years ago. They replaced a solenoid, if I recall correctly, and said that it was so expensive because of the difficulty of getting to that part. Everyone gives me the impression that Cadillacs aren't easy to work on because of the layout of everything under the hood.

It's annoying that I had to buy everything in your picture above just to get the number four coil that was defective. I don't see why it has to be that way. The manufacturers have obviously done this to charge as much as possible for their products.

Does the word "cassette" refer to the holder for the coils? Some of these specific names amuse me, just like when I had to buy rear quarter extensions for my 1985 Cadillac. I realized back then that I had to learn the lingo in order to communicate effectively with the people in the parts department!
===========================
It's annoying that I had to buy everything in your picture above just to get the number four coil that was defective. I don't see why it has to be that way.
there have been 3 different ignition/coil designs -
the first design used separate coils with spark plug wires to juice to the plugs -

the second design was the sealed coil cassette that mounted directly over the spark plugs

in 2004 they changed to the style you have -
if one coil failed - the entire assembly needed to be replaced -
that design was further updated so an individual coil COULD be replaced -

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
"Lingo" - you might want to study the sticky thread "Acronyms" in the threads at the top of this forum main page - stickies - marked with a push pin - timeless info.

If you look at Post #19 again you'll see that the coil/case assembly for the 2000 - 2003 Northstar is one piece - the coils are built and epoxy encapsulated into the single case(tte).

"cassette" is used in some references in the Cadillac/GM service manuals. A 3 or 4 coil assembly.

Speaking of lingo, when you guys use the word "sticky", what do you mean exactly? Is this like a sticky note reference if we were dealing in all paper products?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
===========================
It's annoying that I had to buy everything in your picture above just to get the number four coil that was defective. I don't see why it has to be that way.
there have been 3 different ignition/coil designs -
the first design used separate coils with spark plug wires to juice to the plugs -

the second design was the sealed coil cassette that mounted directly over the spark plugs

in 2004 they changed to the style you have -
if one coil failed - the entire assembly needed to be replaced -
that design was further updated so an individual coil COULD be replaced -
So, even though the design was changed, greedy parts manufacturers weren't content with offering customers the option of buying just one coil! When I asked to see the old parts removed from my car, I saw the original cassette in the box along with the old coils. I suppose that the new cassette is as good as the original in terms of quality, but I still hated seeing the old one being discarded. I normally ask to see the new parts before they install them as well so I can see what country they were manufactured in, but I didn't this time. They probably find me an annoying customer for wanting to do this, but after paying all this money, I feel entitled to do so.

·
Administrator
67,164 Posts
Speaking of lingo, when you guys use the word "sticky", what do you mean exactly? Is this like a sticky note reference if we were dealing in all paper products?
In any forum, on the first threads page, there are one or many threads tagged with a push pin. These are "sticky" - they never move down the threads list as new threads are added. Stickies are used for timeless info of interest to all owners of that particular vehicle group in the forum. You should read through every sticky in any forum of interest - then most of your repair/info questions are already answered.

Legally, you are entitled to possession of any removed parts. You paid for them initially and they're your property. IF a faulty part is needed to verify a warranty claim the dealership should ask your permission to hold the part(s) for some period of time.

The arrangement of the coils - whether singly, molded into a cassette, or in a repairable assembly - has exactly nothing to do with parts pricing or gouging. Read the sales contracts - the manufacturer has the right to upgrade or redesign newer vehicle production with no obligation to upgrade yours. Look at the radical Northstar engine changes at the beginning of the 2000 MY. Your 1999 is so different from my 2002 - mechanically and electrically - it isn't funny

As posted either in here or elsewhere, "AC Delco" replacement parts are sourced by contract worldwide. It is entirely normal to replace Japanese spark plugs, German fuel injectors, Mexican spark plug wire, Canadian wire harnesses, and a Chinese water pump - all in the same "AC Delco" service event. You have NO control over that.

Here's the box label from a 2002 Seville "AC Delco" fuel pump assembly. Who made it ? (Airtex - but it's branded "DELPHI")

Box label.jpg.JPG

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,304 Posts
"Sticky" is a term from the old forum format that has certain threads "stuck" to the top of the forum page so that they are always at the top. This new format uses a push pin symbol.

Oops, Sub beat me to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
=====================
well Tony - thank you for the thank you -
it's nice to hear and it's the ONLY thing WE get in return for our time and efforts -

regarding the trans -
like I already said - IF you don't have emissions testing or inspections in your area -
your trans IS and WILL be just fine -
and DO NOT be tempted into adding ANY kind of SNAKE OIL to "help" the trans -
your transmission AND your wallet will thank you -
And if you do live in an area that does emissions, clear the codes and just drive around in 3rd for awhile. After a couple of weeks, it will pass inspection. I have performed this techique a few times. Of course, as soon as you are in Drive at highway speeds, the Check Engine light will come on again...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
And if you do live in an area that does emissions, clear the codes and just drive around in 3rd for awhile. After a couple of weeks, it will pass inspection. I have performed this techique a few times. Of course, as soon as you are in Drive at highway speeds, the Check Engine light will come on again...
That sounds like a clever way to get rid of the SES light! But aren't you concerned that there might be a serious issue going on that has caused this light to come on? Happily, I'm driving without the SES light on anymore now that I've spent a good bit of money to have the coils replaced. I look at it as a good investment for my peace of mind and the well-being of my Cadillac!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sounds like a clever way to get rid of the SES light! But aren't you concerned that there might be a serious issue going on that has caused this light to come on? Happily, I'm driving without the SES light on anymore now that I've spent a good bit of money to have the coils replaced. I look at it as a good investment for my peace of mind and the well-being of my Cadillac!
Nah, it is the torque converter issue that everyone else has: P0741. I have performed the procedure 5 times in the last 40K miles without any issue.You probably don't want to make a coast-to-coast trip in 3rd, however. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In any forum, on the first threads page, there are one or many threads tagged with a push pin. These are "sticky" - they never move down the threads list as new threads are added. Stickies are used for timeless info of interest to all owners of that particular vehicle group in the forum. You should read through every sticky in any forum of interest - then most of your repair/info questions are already answered.

Legally, you are entitled to possession of any removed parts. You paid for them initially and they're your property. IF a faulty part is needed to verify a warranty claim the dealership should ask your permission to hold the part(s) for some period of time.

The arrangement of the coils - whether singly, molded into a cassette, or in a repairable assembly - has exactly nothing to do with parts pricing or gouging. Read the sales contracts - the manufacturer has the right to upgrade or redesign newer vehicle production with no obligation to upgrade yours. Look at the radical Northstar engine changes at the beginning of the 2000 MY. Your 1999 is so different from my 2002 - mechanically and electrically - it isn't funny

As posted either in here or elsewhere, "AC Delco" replacement parts are sourced by contract worldwide. It is entirely normal to replace Japanese spark plugs, German fuel injectors, Mexican spark plug wire, Canadian wire harnesses, and a Chinese water pump - all in the same "AC Delco" service event. You have NO control over that.

Here's the box label from a 2002 Seville "AC Delco" fuel pump assembly. Who made it ? (Airtex - but it's branded "DELPHI")

View attachment 575356
I'm just glad to know that Delphi is a decent manufacturer and not something that I would find at Auto Zone. The Cadillac dealership lets me go back into the bay area to see all of the spare parts that were taken off of my car, which I find instructional. Back when I was trying to revive my 1999 Concours, there were many parts to look at on their floor. That was before they finally diagnosed it as having a blown head gasket. It has been sitting under my carport since 2015 without having been driven since I didn't want to continue pouring money into it. That repair would have been $3,500 at the Cadillac dealership. I'm still attached to the car, so that's why I don't just want to get rid of it as everyone has suggested that I do. I love the design of the body infinitely more than the one of my 2004 DeVille. It's also the same as the 1999 Cadillac DeVille that I had in the Middle East for eight years, making for another emotional connection. I foolishly brought that car to the US in a 20-foot container, only to have it confiscated by US Customs because it didn't meet the requirements to be used in the US. It was designed for the Middle East and the hotter temperatures there. That was a hard lesson to learn because I paid $5,000 just for the shipping by sea freight. Then I paid a guy in Maryland $1,800 to convert my car to make it roadworthy. When GM gave me the list of everything that had to be changed, the cost would have been astronomical, so I just gave up. He claimed that Customs was going to destroy my car, but I never saw any evidence of that. Of course, in hindsight I wish I had just left it over there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
"Sticky" is a term from the old forum format that has certain threads "stuck" to the top of the forum page so that they are always at the top. This new format uses a push pin symbol.

Oops, Sub beat me to it.
Hi Ranger,

Thanks for the comment! Some of the terminology on here is a bit amusing. It's certainly helpful that these posts actually remain at the top so others can find them easily.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts