Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 deville dhs,, instead ok taking coils out one by one ,can i take out front rail first n set them there n check em while someone cranks car on??

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts
The entire rail of 4 coils comes out as a unit. If you believe that you have an ignition miss you can have the car scanned at a large parts store and their readout will identify the bad cylinder(s). Our built-in scanner systems will only give you a P 0300 - miss detected. The parts store scan will give you cylinder number - P 0301, P 0306 , etc.

You might find single coils in RockAuto.

I moved your question to its own thread rather than in a 9 year old dead thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At parts store i got P0300 code,, but can i take the whole rail off n set it there conected n have someone start car for 5 seconds to check for spark?? Or can i only do theat one coil at a time?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts
I think you have to lift the whole assembly - each coil has a retainer bolt and lock tabs.

In order to roll the engine and check spark you would need a plug in each coil, and each plug would need to be grounded to the engine. Fuel injectors disabled.

I don't have a service manual for those later coilsets, but the check procedure would be in there. www.alldatadiy.com for instant gratification.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
can i take the whole rail off n set it there conected n have someone start car for 5 seconds to check for spark?? Or can i only do theat one coil at a time?
The only way I can think of is to run plug wires from each coil to the respective plug and then use a conductive timing light to check for current through each wire.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Pull one injector plug at a time to find the dead cylinder. Which ever injector makes no difference when unplugged, is the dead cylinder. That narrows it down to which cylinder you're having trouble with, but wouldn't tell you if it's; the injector or the coil. Pull the plug. Wet plug means unburnt fuel (hasn't been firing, but has gotten fuel).

Ranger has the right idea as well. There should be a way to test resistance in the coil. I had a problem with my 04 GXP's coil- ended up buying a whole bank of coils because Rock didn't sell just the one that I needed. There was a design change somewhere/time in the assembly. Well at least I now have three spare coils from the old assembly.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i bought a auto craft ignition tester for the coils and so far i tested the 4 front coils and i set it at the end of E as instructed on package,on 3 of the coils i got an inconsistent spark and 1 coil didnt spark at all,, any guru on here look at the picture and tell me if i had it adjusted rite,,

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the picture of tester ,, is it set rite, only tested 4 front coils and 3 of em got a inconsistent spark and 1 coil got no spark at all,, i also tested the no spark coil with the plug connector of different coil and still no spark,,, just wanted to make sure it wasnt the plug

20150529_175325-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:noidea: BTSOM, never saw one of these before. I'd saw follow the instructions.
Ranger, so i tested just 4 front coils and 3 had very weak inconsistent spark and 1 had no spark ,, i guess im just gona replace all 8 coils

·
Registered
2007 DTS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After testing just front 4 coils , and 3 were weak spark and 1 had no spark,, i bought only front rail with 4 coils $170 doll,and so far no more misfire possesed car, i guess il buy other 4 coils with rail next week, really dont need em but ill just swap em before they do go bad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts