Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville, 1999 Sedan DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I used to be a member but it's been ages since I posted and had to join again.

I recently purchased a 2004 Deville. It was a "mechanic special" - I paid $650 for it. My cousin is a certified mechanic and he did all the work on it. I had to have rear shocks/struts replaced, brakes all around, a few sensors, some kind of exhaust leak or hose, and a few other things. Tonight was the first time I drove it out of town and BEFORE all the work, the cruise worked! I did the same thing I always do, hit the button on the left side of the steering wheel and then hit the set accel/resume on the right side and the green "cruise" light comes on in the digital display but it does NOT engage. I know I'm going to be told to call my cousin, which I will do, but I wondered if there was, perhaps, some simple solution. I read that if any of the brake lights are out, it won't engage, but they all work. The traction control light did come on tonight but I stopped on a side road and restarted the car and it went off and stayed off, thinking that that could have been a culprit. I just cannot fathom driving without cruise! I'm still getting used to all the new gadgets this one has that my 99 Deville doesn't, like that FABULOUS invention, the heated steering wheel! But I digress, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I'm a bit mechanically DECLINED but I do know where the FUSE is but it was too cold and dark to check it. I just thought it odd that both the gold/orange light AND the green "cruise" light came on.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,726 Posts
Hi! I used to be a member but it's been ages since I posted and had to join again.

I recently purchased a 2004 Deville. It was a "mechanic special" - I paid $650 for it. My cousin is a certified mechanic and he did all the work on it. I had to have rear shocks/struts replaced, brakes all around, a few sensors, some kind of exhaust leak or hose, and a few other things. Tonight was the first time I drove it out of town and BEFORE all the work, the cruise worked! I did the same thing I always do, hit the button on the left side of the steering wheel and then hit the set accel/resume on the right side and the green "cruise" light comes on in the digital display but it does NOT engage. I know I'm going to be told to call my cousin, which I will do, but I wondered if there was, perhaps, some simple solution. I read that if any of the brake lights are out, it won't engage, but they all work. The traction control light did come on tonight but I stopped on a side road and restarted the car and it went off and stayed off, thinking that that could have been a culprit. I just cannot fathom driving without cruise! I'm still getting used to all the new gadgets this one has that my 99 Deville doesn't, like that FABULOUS invention, the heated steering wheel! But I digress, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm afraid I'm a bit mechanically DECLINED but I do know where the FUSE is but it was too cold and dark to check it. I just thought it odd that both the gold/orange light AND the green "cruise" light came on.

Thanks in advance for any help!
===========================
STEP #1 - ALWAYS - check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes - using the on-board scanner -
if you don't know how - go here -

post any codes you have -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

include whether they are C-Current or H-History -

for code definitions - go here -

here is a how-to video -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Try to engage Cruise - then lift the brake pedal with your left foot while holding speed with the right (gas pedal). If Cruise locks in the brake light switch is out of adjustment - it also runs Cruise - - remember: Touch the brake and Cruise drops out . . . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I just rechecked and some of the lights in the 3rd brake light on the deck lid are out. Do I have to have the ENTIRE strip replaced? I can't find just bulbs. It is so strange! I checked and I didn't notice it but I called my brother and drove to his house and had him look and damn if there weren't a few out. It looks like just 3 (if there are individual bulbs inside). It had to have JUST happened. Anyway, appreciate the help. I just wish the manual for the 2004 was as useful as the one for my 99 Deville is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no bulbs. It's LED so you'll have to replace the entire strip
Thanks! That would explain why I couldn't find any! lol I'm learning a lot from just one post. Appreciate it!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Yeah ^ ^ ^ - That's Logan, an old CF member.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts