Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I See a lot of threads about accessing the crank sensors via the bottom, and having to remove the oil filter block, and still having very little room to work. Is it possible to access them via the top by removing the core support and tilting the radiator forward?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
How would you remove the welded in core support/front crossmember?

The job is done from the bottom. Be sure to replace the oil filter adapter O rings and i would also recommend replacing the oil pressure switch. Its a common leak point and cause for a false low oil prrssure warning. AC Delco ONLY.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2004 DeVille has a bolt in core support. I had to remove it to change my alternator. 4 - 15mm bolts hold it in, along with 2 - 10mm bolts holding the radiator supports. simple removal. I"m just wondering if attacking it that way saves a little headache and busted knuckles and removing oil from going from underneath.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
:noidea: I did mine from beneath. I think access from above would be even more limited.

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'm just spooked by how small the work area looks. What I Really need to do, is inspoect the plugs for the sensors, and put some dielectric grease in the connectors. I'm having some issues where the car is running really rough, and stalling while driving in the rain. No codes from the DTC (other than P0300 when it happens), so I've been told to look at the connectors for the crank sensors. Thanks guys, I'll try from underneath.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Have no doubt, it IS very tight down there. You will need a long extension, or a couple shorter ones (probably a good 12") and a universal joint.
3/8" drive will do (that's what I used), but 1/4" would be even better.
Doable on the ground, but MUCH easier if you have a lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts