Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a used replacement body control module in a 2004 deville need to be reprogrammed ?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
YES - and it requires the use of the TECH2 scan tool

out of curiosity - WHY are you replacing the BCM?
they rarely go bad - unless they get wet and the pins corrode -

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a light out in my cluster, my research says the bcm commands it on and off. The light came on the other night after months of not working but not since, that was about a week ago. I'm pretty sure it is not a bulb. I'm concerned that this may be the start of a bigger problem and wanted to keep ahead of it. I haven't changed anything as yet, and if nothing else goes wrong i can live with the light being out.

·
18,909 Posts
There is a light out in my cluster, my research says the bcm commands it on and off. The light came on the other night after months of not working but not since, that was about a week ago. I'm pretty sure it is not a bulb. I'm concerned that this may be the start of a bigger problem and wanted to keep ahead of it. I haven't changed anything as yet, and if nothing else goes wrong i can live with the light being out.
-----------------------
which light?

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The headlight on indicator lamp, it hasn't worked for months. At first I thought it was the bulb, was thisclose to tearing down the dashboard to change it, then one night last week it came on and stayed on 'till I shut the car off, it hasn't come back on since. The signal to turn the light on and off comes from pin B2 in the bcm. This weekend I'm going to probe that pin with a test light to see if there is any power on it and go from there.

·
2003 Deville base
03 Deville
15 Posts
Just wondering how the "lights on" indicator is associated with the twilight settings. The "lights on" wouldn't go out on my 03 Deville no matter if the headlights were on or off, unless the ignition was off. After several days of trying to figure it out, I happened to slide the twilight button all the way to the left. Indicator went off and only comes on now when I turn on the headlights.

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No matter where i set the twilight slider or the control knob the indicator light will not come on. I know the slider part works, when it is off (left) i get the "headlights suggested" message in the dic I even tried swapping in a different headlight switch assy with no change.

·
2001 Deville base
26 Posts
"...one night last week it came on and stayed on 'till I shut the car off, it hasn't come back on since."

This sounds like a dirty/loose connection issue. I've "fixed" two instrument clusters, plus a few light switches, by cleaning the connectors with electronic connector cleaner. In cases of a loose connection, I use a tiny screwdriver to move a corner pin or two to tighten it (this one carefully--it's like spreading the prongs of a plug to tighten it to an electrical outlet in the house). You'll probably have to remove the dash pad. MAYBE you can access the switch connector. without removing much else. I would start from there. If not, the cluster will need to go out to be cleaned/tightened. I don't think it's the BCM.

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a possibility, but i don't want to tear the dashboard down again. I've done that 3 times now and always end up breaking something. As long as it doesn't turn into a serious problem i can probably live with it.

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driving home tonight, just for s & g's, I rapped on the cluster where the light is, and lo and behold it came on !
So back to square one, I have to decide if I want to tear the dash down again. I'm going to wait a couple days and see what happens.

Attachments

·
2001 Deville base
26 Posts
That's a possibility, but i don't want to tear the dashboard down again. I've done that 3 times now and always end up breaking something. As long as it doesn't turn into a serious problem i can probably live with it.
I know what you mean. The dash is mounted on brittle plastic
Driving home tonight, just for s & g's, I rapped on the cluster where the light is, and lo and behold it came on !
So back to square one, I have to decide if I want to tear the dash down again. I'm going to wait a couple days and see what happens.
And that shows it must be a loose connection. Maybe you can just see if the assembly connector is loose or dirty. Is it possible to access those without tearing up the dash? I wouldn't tear up the dash for that. My dash is mounted on brittle plastic that partially broke off.

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had taken the cluster out, actually took the whole dash out except for the metal frame, 3 or 4 years ago to repair a electrical short. The cluster has a connector on either side which are not accessible with out taking at least the dashpad and the plastic "wood" trim off. But the light worked fine up until a couple months ago.
That brittle plastic piece is called the carrier, it goes from door to door and all the finish trim for the dashboard is attached to it. they get brittle with age. I broke a couple screw holes putting it all back together.

·
18,909 Posts
=====================
now would be a great time to install a DHS/DTS/SLS/STS analog cluster -
the trick is to find one with similar mileage -

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call me crazy, but I actually like the digital cluster. If I do replace it, it will be with another digital one.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,310 Posts
Lot of work for a headlamp indicator. Personally, I'd just live with it.

·
2004 Deville
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in no rush, but I am a little ocd when it comes to my car, always have been, if something doesn't work, no matter how small, I have to fix it. Maybe not today, but it will get fixed eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts