Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here goes,

Had a noisy leaking water pump, replaced it. Then found out I had a cracked tank in the radiator ,replaced it ! All was well for about a month. I should also state it has NEVER overheated, always right at dead center on gauge. Then started losing coolant but could not see from where,no drips. Yesterday it started leaking big time so I took the covers off and let it run. all of a sudden a good deal of coolant starts dripping from the firewall side of the motor but I can't see from the top or underneath where it is coming from. I fear a HG breach. Nothing in the oil, no overheating, nothing appears to be coming from the heater hoses. Any ideas are much appreciated. With 149k I'm not sure I'm up for 3 or 4 k in a head gasket repair. TIA, Joe v

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,278 Posts
Sounds like the heater pipes that run along the rear head. PITA to replace.

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
228 Posts
I know coolant pills aren’t really recommended anymore but here is my story. Last year I bought a 2004 deville DTS with 43000 miles on it. when I bought it I had 0 coolant leaked until I changed the coolant. All of a sudden big puddle of coolant under the car (Pretty sure it was from the crossover gaskets) I added the recomend amount of coolant pills and so far no more issues. Point being unless you know the history this might have happened to your vehicle as well. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,912 Posts
Use the sealant tablets/power judiciously. It tends to clog small passages as well as the purge line and crossover nipple.

The coolant sealant tablets (Bar's Leaks # HDC or the equivalent powder G12BP) were totally discontinued by GM/Cadillac in 2006 or so. There are GM/Cadillac TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) on this. The owner's manuals and radiator cover stickers were never updated.

His coolant leak - lots of it - is at the firewall area, right in the middle of the chronic Deville heater pipe failure area.

Homework -

·
Registered
2004 Deville base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use the sealant tablets/power judiciously. It tends to clog small passages as well as the purge line and crossover nipple.

The coolant sealant tablets (Bar's Leaks # HDC or the equivalent powder G12BP) were totally discontinued by GM/Cadillac in 2006 or so. There are GM/Cadillac TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) on this. The owner's manuals and radiator cover stickers were never updated.

His coolant leak - lots of it - is at the firewall area, right in the middle of the chronic Deville heater pipe failure area.

Homework -

Exactly, Submariner! Is there a tutorial on this site that will give me a head start as to how to get to the leaking pipe? TIA.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,912 Posts
Google something like "cadillac forums deville rusted heater piping". It's (unfortunately) been discussed quite a bit over the years.

Maybe OEM parts in either www.gmpartsgiant.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Some have replaced the metal piping with heater hose but it's tricky and you have to be careful to not introduce any high spots (air lock bends) in the replacement hoses.

Check the surge tank and its closely associated fittings, Ts, and hoses. That lower coolant system sometimes leaks. Surge tank (reservoir) pictures in RockAuto.

·
Registered
2004 Deville base
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Google something like "cadillac forums deville rusted heater piping". It's (unfortunately) been discussed quite a bit over the years.

Maybe OEM parts in either www.gmpartsgiant.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Some have replaced the metal piping with heater hose but it's tricky and you have to be careful to not introduce any high spots (air lock bends) in the replacement hoses.

Check the surge tank and its closely associated fittings, Ts, and hoses. That lower coolant system sometimes leaks. Surge tank (reservoir) pictures in RockAuto.
Thank you , I will do so. Looking into replacing with heater hose,sounds promising.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts