Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 Deville. It has an annoying squeaking sound coming from the front drivers side. when I start to drive the car it is silent. After about 10 minutes I start getting the squeaking sound. It is definitely worse going over bumps. Much worse is the ride. The car seems to bounce when going over the smallest of bumps. It almost seems like you loose control when going over even small bumps. If you go around a circle with bad bumps you start to bounce to the outside. I know the car sat for quite a while when the previous owner was sick. There are no messages present.
JOJO :confused:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
Go to the top of the main Deville page and open the sticky thread titled "How to pull codes". Read the opening thread and scroll down to the URL with "obd2" in the address. This will allow you to access the car's built-in system for reading DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). It's all built into the car - you don't need a scanner.

A 2004 should not need struts and shocks, so there has to be some suspension control malfunction. Curious that it hasn't set a DIC message. Otherwise you'll have to get the car up on a lift and begin checking suspension bushings and the rear air shocks. Check the boots n the CV joints also. Check and clean the electrical connectors for the strut ride control system. Visually check the disc brake rotors and pads. Try to rock each front wheel by placing a hand at 12:00 and 6:00 and push/pull. Any play is the bearing capsule (one piece hubs - no single bearings - replace the whole enchilada.)

A quick check for the air shocks (rear only) is to start the car. About 8 - 10 seconds after start do you hear a humming from the right rear, for 3 seconds ? That's the ELC (Electronic Level Control) compressor doing a prove-out. Is so, pop the trunk and you and an assistant sit on the trunk lip. Does the compressor come on and level the car ? If so, both hop off and you listen in the RR wheelwell. Air escaping? That's the shocks bleeding down to level the car. If that system doesn't work, your rear suspension will be squirrely.

·
Registered
02 Deville
26 Posts
I have an 02 Base Deville with a similar problem. I checked and the air pump does come on and even seems to lift the car some at least. I read on another post from a few months ago that 4 wheel alignment could be a problem so I have it scheduled for tomorrow. It seems like it bottoms out on bumps and kind of rocks back and forth, side to side which is not very reassuring on the control front. Most of my problem seems to be in the rear at this point. The car only has around 75k on it. My wife drives it alot more than I do and she says it actually hops to the side on bumps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts