Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 CTS with 33,000 miles. What should I sell it for?
I need to buy something that i'm okay with wrecking since i have to teach my daughter to drive.
I'm looking for opinions of what a reasonable price would be.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
Use the KBB or Edmunds websites for trade, private, and off-the-lot retail pricing.

Why not teach her in that car ? My sister and I both learned to drive in a 1953 Cadillac Series 62. Mom's car (both R.I.P.)

Have her memorize the owner's manual, learn all - all - the buttons, and learn how to change a tire.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >130k miles
642 Posts
Use the KBB or Edmunds websites for trade, private, and off-the-lot retail pricing.

Why not teach her in that car ? My sister and I both learned to drive in a 1953 Cadillac Series 62. Mom's car (both R.I.P.)

Have her memorize the owner's manual, learn all - all - the buttons, and learn how to change a tire.
...and to check the oil, etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Book guides like kbb doesn't usually do well reflecting market value of low mileage cars, but I need to get around to checking it out just to see what it says.

I really just wanted to see what people had to say and start a discussion because i'm stuck at home with nothing better to do.

And I'd teach her to drive the CTS but I'm trying to save this low mileage gem from getting the rims curbed and maybe worse. I love my daughter but coordinated she is not.
Also, I want to teach her on a stick shift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it helps at all.. I just sold a 2005 w/51k miles identical to yours color and all. I had it sold for $6,500 to the first person to come see it. I'm in Seattle - was my moms car. She ended up not wanting it gone so now it's mine. Glad we didn't let it go - buyer was purchasing it for their 17yo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know, thanks for the info. I'm glad you got to keep it. I was very impressed with the engine and I wish more Cadillac's were rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,314 Posts
The various car value guides like KBB, adjust for mileage and condition, although not as
much as we would like for a cream puff. The issue is that potential buyers also look at the
guides and don't want to pay much more than what the guides say. The low miles and good
conditions help you to sell it, but not for a lot over value guides.

IMO it's better to give her this car than to buy some lesser car that may need repairs or not
be reliable. No use saving a nice car from your daughter, if you no longer have it anyway.

Why force her into a stick shift. There aren't that many newer cars around with it, unless they
are sport cars.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
236 Posts
Smart move. My 18yo daughter is on her second car after the fourth incident with the first one made it no go no mo. There was about a 6 month lag between cars as we finally got tired of driving her around...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I'm trying to find something cheap like a focus that I wont be upset if it gets destroyed. And manual trans are so much cheaper to repair. The clutch goes out rather than paying a tranny shop for a rebuild that may or maynot last. They usually only warranty 12000 or 15000 miles. Clutches are so much more reliable

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt
236 Posts
My only advice about a manual trans is make sure that you can actually get a replacement trans or parts for it. My 2004 3.2 Caddy is a 5-speed Getrag variant that is nearly impossible to source. BMW shops won't touch it, even though it's similar. There are some parts available, but not all. I found a spare trans on Craigslist and bought it just in case, but hindsight tells me that if a rare transmission fails...the car is done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts