Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 CTS-V. A local shop (they put it on a lift) says that the car has just regular plain gas shocks and that they don't see any air or electrical lines that denote it being self-leveling/dampening. I want to buy a set of Eibach springs which are now discontinued. I am a) wondering why they are discontinued and b) how can I be 100% sure that these springs (should I find a set) will work on my car without doing damage or otherwise having to replace ANY other part except the springs?

The last digits of my VIN are: 40172635

I was told by someone that works at a dealer that the VIN revealed:

FE4 suspension
Base passive shocks
(no, you don't have load leveling)

I am just freaking out and want to make sure I'm not going to get these springs, spend all day putting them on my car, and then find out they don't lower all the way with my suspension or something.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
You ought to visit the FAQ for more information. In the mean time, if you have FE4 shocks you have self leveling shocks. The self-level mechanism is internal and not readily apparent to a shop not familiar with these shocks. The FAQs discusses how to tell by inspecting the shock.

I do not know what Eibach springs you are talking about. As far as I know Eibach's Pro Kit lowering springs are still available for the CTS-V. (Sold by Tirerack among others).

The self -leveling shocks in the rear (if you have them) will not allow the car to sit lower without some spacers to "trick" the shock. There are numerous threads on this - just do a search on "shocks" or similar keywords.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
The rear shocks are load leveling and you need spacers to relocate the upper shock mounting point to be able to lower it.

The fronts are fine.

Check out forum vendor 2003RC51 and his recent thread on the lowering spacers he is selling.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Just ordered some eibach springs from tire rack, said on their site they had them instock. Where are you getting this info from?
Infact I just checked, they are already shipped out and half way here.
Modding the shocks is going to be eaisier than putting your springs in.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Get some Ground Control coilovers and you can change your rear springs in 30 minutes. And that's 10 minutes just getting the wheels off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts