Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really strange problem with my 2004 CTS-V. I last drove the car 2 weeks ago. Parked it in my garage on a battery trickle charger. I come in to start it today, when I turn the key I don't get any dash lights or any chimes or anything. The power door locks won't even work. Headlights come on no problem. The engine turns over but refuses to catch and stay running. It will turn over, catch for half a second and then shut down, like it's not getting any fuel.

The only parts of the car that are working are the engine starter, the headlights, and strangely the eject button on the CD and DVD players. So obviously there's power. Two weeks ago when I drove it was just to get the oil changed, and there have been no issues with the car up to this point. Anyone have any idea why the engine won't catch?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,829 Posts
I'd start with the battery. Give it a full charge with a "normal" charger (and/or take it to a auto parts place to have them test it). You have power, but not enough to energize things that would normally power up when you turn the key, so it sounds like you don't have enough juice.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with the battery. Give it a full charge with a "normal" charger (and/or take it to a auto parts place to have them test it). You have power, but not enough to energize things that would normally power up when you turn the key, so it sounds like you don't have enough juice.
I appreciate where you are coming from on this, but the battery is on a trickle charger 24/7, and I have enough power to run the headlights as well as turn the starter indefinitely. It's not a battery issue.

If the battery were failing, I wouldn't be able to sit there and crank and crank and crank.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a ground, or a fuse, that would cut off power to every system except the ignition relay and the headlights?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts