Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the oil pan gasket on the transmission. I have done some research online and it says I am supposed to drain the transmission fluid while the car is running is this true. Also when I add transmission fluid is the car supposed to be running. and how much fluid will it use.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium
179 Posts
If you dropped the pan you drained the fluid. Did you change the filter? It will take about 9 quarts to refill.

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
No do not drain the fluid while the car is running and it will run dry in a few seconds.

- Shut off the engine
- Raise car on four jack stands and make sure it's level use a level stick
- Remove the fill plug in order not to drain the trans before you make sure you can fill it.
You'll need a T-45 torx bit.
If not accessing from under directly use a flexible extension, if you use a regular extension, then the bit will not be centered, due to the tunnel insulation and exhaust piping getting in the way and you will that way strip the draing plug head without a flexible extension...ask me how I know.
- Replace filter with new filter
- Replace pan gasket with new pan gasket
- Install pan and re-torque pan bolts to 97 lb.inches or 11 Neuton.Meters
- Pump new trans fluid through the fill hole till the fluid drips out of the fill hole
- First time the trans will take less than 5 quarts usually.
- Temporarily close the fill hole
- Turn the engine on while the car is on jack stands
- While your foot is on the brake pedal move the shift lever through all positions while pausing a few seconds at each position then return the shift lever to park and leave the engine running
- Remove the drain plug
- Pump transmission fluid in till the fluid drips out again (typically the trans at this point will accept 0.5 to 1 quart more)
- Replace the drain plug and tighten to 15 lb.ft or 20 Nueton.Meters
- Shut off the engine.
- Lower the vehicle
- Take for a test drive and make sure transmission shifts normally
- Return from test drive and check for leaks
- Done

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good thanks

----------

Thanks a lot. Really helped. Good job with the pictures. Just to let you know I would have paid to get those steps

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
Sounds good thanks

----------

Thanks a lot. Really helped. Good job with the pictures. Just to let you know I would have paid to get those steps
BTW it goes without saying to clean the pan with brake clean when you have it off and clean the pan magnet as good as you can. And if there are any gasket remnants on the pan edges to clean it with a very fine sand paper and brake clean too.

Also another pan specific item, I prefer the AC-Delco OEM pan gasket to the rubber style gaskets you might get with the filter.

Last time I did my trans fluid I ordered a WIX trans filter, it came with a rubber gasket, I was like nah, so I installed the WIX filter and I then ordered an AC Delco gasket that's like the original that came with the trans.

Both will work I just prefer the original style AC Delco aluminum + rubber gasket for the pans on the car.

Take it easy and enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts