Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my husband told me our CTS which has about 99,000 was vibrating and the check engine light came on. He took it to AAMCO Transmission and they told him he needed a major tune up which cost $300. While it was there, they called him and said there was a leak in the coolant system and that would be an additional $600.

The day after he got the car back it started vibrating again. He took it back and they drove the car around all day and hooked up to a computer but they said they couldnt find a problem so they returned the car to us.

Now today the same problem is still occurring!! What should we do now? We have already spent $1000 on repairs. smh! What might the problem be?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
First, you can get your codes read for free at Autozone or any other auto shop like Pepboys, etc.
This sounds like a misfiring, and at 99k, could be time for new spark plugs, maybe even new coil packs. The instant the CEL comes on, go to Autozone, and have them print out the code sheet for you and post up what codes the car is throwing so we can help.

Also, engine size is important.

Where did they figure coolant was being leaked to\at? Anywhere near bottom of radiator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we just got a major tune up so we have new spark plugs. the engine is 3.2. i have to ask my husband what the replaced due to the leak in the morning. He is also taking it to a Cadillac dealership in the morning.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Um, since you have the 3.2 engine. Save the trouble and replace the crank shaft sensor. If your husband is handy with tools, it's an half hour job. Look in the sticky for crank shaft sensor, if theres a thread there, for details.

KOT

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
CPS... Definitely. Exactly what KOT said. Do it yourself.

If the transmission coolant lines are leaking near the radiator... Don't have any work done... Your best bet may be to seal the radiator (jb weld) and run an external transmission cooler (B&M type) to\from lines to transmission. This will cost you at most maybe $60, and will save you alot of headache.

If the lines are leaking near the transmission, then replace the lines, and then do what I said in regards to the ext. cooler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My hubby is definitely NOT handy. lol. But I just called him and told him ur suggestions. He is on his way to the dealership. Thanks for all the advice. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My hubby just called me and told me the Cadillac dealership checked everything out and drove the care around. They said there is nothing wrong with the car. And if anything happens again just bring it back. I'm so frustrated. What do we do now?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about the idle of the car I have the 03 3.2L that had the same issue and turn out it was a common problem where the throttle body goes out and idle is not learned.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Just wait I guess, if it happens again. Find a repair shop, not the dealer, that will do the crank shaft position sensor for you. We all know of that sensor doing some funky things. And there is no code to go along with it for itself. However, there has been cases where other things threw a code. But it all trickled down to the crank shaft sensor.

The most common issue was the engine would just stall any where it would like to. Or it wouldn't start after a few minute shut off, such as filling the gas tank or a quick stop to a store. But after 15 minutes, it would be normal. There has been people complaining about the engine shacking, as yours does, and they replace the crank shaft sensor and all was well.

KOT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KOT,

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for all your help.

Thank you to everyone else who commented as well. I will keep you posted if anything else happens.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
You have a 3.2 engine, right?

Go to the car, start it up and leave it in park. Now on the radio, press and hold F1 and F6 for a few seconds... Do you see the dash light up and then go into the OBSD display? If so, press volume SEL and go thru the codes, hitting next. Write each code down (not the long codes, the ones that show up after you SEL into them)

P0128C, U1016H, etc

I'm not 100% sure it will work, but I believe this function was kept with the 3.2 engine even in 04 as well?

Try that and see what codes will pop up... Write all down, then clear them.
I'd suggest CPS. You can check the codes to see if the throttle body needs to be relearned, but if not, its going to be CPS IMO

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Here is a link in the sticky above for the code reader on the radio. Just to add to the above. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/codes.html

I wish there was a link in the sticky on how to relearn the throttle position procedure, unless I over looked it. But it's a simple processes, however I can't remember it. It was something like to turn the key to the run, with out start an wait 3 minutes and repeat. I don't remember.

KOT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Um, since you have the 3.2 engine. Save the trouble and replace the crank shaft sensor. If your husband is handy with tools, it's an half hour job. Look in the sticky for crank shaft sensor, if theres a thread there, for details.

KOT
So I also have a 2003 Cadillac CTS with a 3.2L. The engine shakes at idle, Or when at a complete stop. Just replaced the CPS. Also swapped the throttle body and re learned the throttle. Did new spark plugs, and valve cover gaskets. Would a coil pack cause this to happen? One was swapped by the previous owner. But there is no engine light on.. Motor mounts look good from underneath. Would some kind of vacuum leak cause this to happen? But still no codes and have been running threw everything. Makes no sense

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Typically there are no misfire codes for these cars. There are different intensity levels for misfires and for some reason GM decided to have the CEL flash/turn on well after the misfire is felt.

In my 2006 I dealt with a bad misfire for months with no CEL at all. Sometimes it got so bad that the engine nearly died. It wasn’t until I had the car “live scanned” to where it would count the number of misfires on each cylinder. In my case cylinder number 2 kept counting up, all the other cylinders remained at 0. Replaced the coil pack for cylinder 2 and all was well.

KOT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the input KOT. I just purchased new motor mounts so hopefully this will fix it. And next I’ll look into checking out the other coil pack that has yet to be replaced. Because the previous owner like I said replaced the right side coil pack(on the left). And it seems the left side is the one making noise when I listen to the motor closely.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I had bad coil packs and the engine did not shudder, just the SES light and poor performance.

I drove it 50 miles, and that was a bad choice even though I got home. The mechanic changed the coils and warned that the Cat Converter was probably shot. He was right, a week later the Cat went bad and I had to get that changed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts