Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2003 CTS
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i remember seing something about the '03 CTS's having problems with the trunk lifts going bad due to a bad hinge design, but i can't seem to locate that post... my lifts went bad and i'm wondering if i should try to find some original lifts, or if i should just swap out the hinges for the '04 or newer design... does anyone know where to find a pair of the newer design hinges for a good price? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003
144 Posts
There are 2 sizes of trunk lifts for the 2003. I have the shorter size and picked it up on ebay within the past month. The longer one is the new style. The hinge may be necessary because it may be more difficult to find shorter lifts. If you measure the extended length of yours (the trunk lift) then you can figure out what you need to buy. The hinge replacement was not necessary for me. The time to replace the lifts only takes about 5 minutes with a thin flat-tipped screwdriver to pry out the circular clips.

· Registered
2003 CTS
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the old hinges (first design) so I might just get some of the original design lifts, like you said... But will they just go bad like the original ones did? How are they working for you so far?

· Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003
144 Posts
The 2003 has 2 different exteneded lengths: 11.1 and 11.5 inches. Measure what you have and then buy the ones advertised as such. The 11.1 model is the old version, the other years are the 11.5. The 11.5 is easier to find. I just bought the 11.1 about a month ago but that ebay dealer does not have them in stock at the moment. That dealer is aftrmrktprtsplus.

· Registered
2003 CTS
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so i just baought some '03 lifts on ebay on sunday from california, and they arrived in grand rapids michigan on wednesday... excellent ebay seller (ebay store of Lift Supports Depot). I just installed them a few minutes ago, very easy... anyway, the only problem is that the trunk still wont pop open off of the lock that keeps the trunk closed... it doesnt even pop open a fraction of an inch, i still have to stand by the trunk and listen for the "click", then lift it a few inches and the lifts take it from there... any ideas of how i can get the trunk to at least pop open an inch, so i can use the button in the car to pop it open?

· Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,439 Posts
well i am not positive that our cars have them, but if there are rubber trunk stops (like the rubber hood stops), unscrew them a bit so that they are raised a little higher and that shoudl work...but once again, i am not sure if our cars have them or not

· Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,920 Posts
So the early 03s will go bad again if I just
Replace the lifts?
My gf didn't open my trunk all the way yeasteday
And it fell on her head so I gotta get this fixed
Now, it never really bothered me before.

· Registered
04 CTS SPORT/LUX W/NAVI LIGHT PLATINUM ON BLACK- COOL MODS!
1,323 Posts
I think the trunk hinges are all the same on the 03,04 and 05's.

The 06 models came with a different set of trunk hinges that lift the trunk with a modest tap of two fingers.

I had the hinges on my 04 replaced with these news ones while my car was under warranty.

· Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003
144 Posts
The remove/replace effort is not as difficult as other CTS repair jobs. There is a circular clip at each end that grabs the protruding tip from the hinge. The clip encircles the strut. The tip enters the strut.

The time to replace the lifts only takes about 5 minutes with a thin flat-tipped screwdriver to pry out the circular clips so they open up wide enough to let go of the hinge tip.

On the new strut, manuever the clip out of the hole a bit with the small screwdriver and widen the gap so the hinge tip will enter the strut. Set the clip back into its final position in the strut and the job is complete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.