Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am observing oil usage of about one quart in 4000 miles.
I purchased the car with 13000 miles and wonder if this is abnormal.
Thanks,
Dave Fischer

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
If the car is under warrantee still, make sure that everytime you bring it in for servicing you have them note the oil consumption on the service paperwork. My 98 Eldorado did the same thing, it started out using a little bit of oil, and Cadillac told me it was normal for the Northstar to use a little bit of oil, but it progressevly got worse. So, I complained about it everytime the car went into to get serviced. Finally after my extended warrantee expired at 70,000 when the car hit about 75,000 miles a rear seal blew, and Cadillac said that it needed to be replaced and since the problem was addressed several times in the past before the warrantee expired they would do it for nothing. The dealership told me that it was normal for the Northstar to use a little bit of oil, but as far as I am concerned if you pay 50,000 for a car and it leaks out more than a quart or so between oil changes, thats not normal. The Northstar is notorious for having a bad rear seal that will leak oil moderatly into the bell housing, and a lot of times the leak is un detectable because it goes into the bell housing and often does not leak out onto the ground. When it gets real bad after the engine and tranny heats up it will start to burn off inside the bell housing and in some cases the smoke will come into the interior cabin through the air vents, I have heard of people actually thinking there car is on fire! If I were you I would just keep checking the oil and complaining to Cadillac untill they finally figure out what is going on and fix it.

Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 sedan de ville with excessive useage as well. Seems to be burning about a 1qt per 1,000 miles. This was the same problem I had with my previous 1997 cad. Have read alot about excessive oil consumption on the northstar and I even think there was a class action law suit. I have asked the dealer to do an oil consumption test. Is there anything else I should do? The car is still below it's 50K mile warranty.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
174 Posts
GUYS..........I too had a oil burning 96 N-star. But it served me well
and was otherwise troublefree to 100k plus miles untill I got my 03
DeVille..........

Yes.....If your under warranty have your service writer note it on a
repair order just in case of problems down the road.
At least it will be documented.................
They won't do s**t about it anyhoo unless your blowing out a
smokescreen down the road !!!!!!!!!!

But heres a thought........I have seen posts on GM truck sites about
excessive oil usage. The cause was/is a oversized orifice on the PVC
valve and there is a TSB out covering it.
The cure is to replace the PVC valve with a updated one with a smaller
orifice.

Maybe this might be the issue with your newer Caddies ?????

I would ask the Caddy dealer if their is a TSB on this OR try replacing
the PCV valve yourself.............A easy cheap $5.00 fix????............geo

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,285 Posts
1qt/1000 miles is not excessive. Go to the top left of this page and click on Technical Archives and read up on it. Once you understand it, you won't percieve it as a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts