Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im looking to find out what handheald scanners you have that work on the 03 and 04 3.2L with the factory scanner built into the CD deck. from what i understand its the ones that comes with the tape deck.

i have 2 scantools and neither will connect to my CTS.
tool #1 Innova 3030
tool #2 Maxitrip its just like the Scanguage 2

anyone in GTA willing to let me plug my 2 tools in and see if they will connect

im also trying to figure out if my OBD2 port is damaged or if the car just wont link with the scanners because of the deck. my OBD2 scanners both worked on a 2006 2.8L to read the code and clear it and they both work perfect on my truck.

if i can get a verrified tool that will work on my 03 ill be selling my 2 tools and grab it, but its not a big deal since i have a factory 1 built in.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,880 Posts
What happens when you have the car tested? Now a days, they hook up to the OBDII port and scan it. So if they don't say anything and you pass, I assume that your port is working.

KOT

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canada we dont do OBD2 testing. they hook to your exhaust with a sniffer and measure the outputs at idle and under load at i think 60km/hr

one of my scanners says link error and the other one said no codes found when i had a code.... they also couldnt link on a 99-2002 ish saturn, which i suspect may have the obd2 built in... every other car i have plugged in to has worked flawlessly...kinda a piss off that i have 2 and they both wont link with my car...the Maxitrip is the 1 i wanted to link because of all its features.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2003
144 Posts
We have OBD2 tests here in Maryland and I have not had an issue with my 2003/tape deck causing a problem. I also use a CarChip from Davis that I need to pull off and connect to a computer, it is an older model (serial port, not USB) and that works well too.

Here in the states we can use Autozone for a free OBD test. How about Canadian Tire or other places in the Great White North?

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
I just bought a OBDII scanner& CAN code reader from advanced auto parts for $50, pulled every code from my car and told me what it was. I was very impressed. It was an Actron CP9550 Pocket Scan Plus OBD II and CAN Code Reader.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9550-Pocket-Scan-Reader/dp/B003IOITIK

I just read you have a 3.2l, sorry, Mike. I have an 04 3.6l, my bad. I do know the above scan tool works on the 04's 3.6l tho.. :)

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I think mike knows that trick. LOL I think he's just looking to see if anyone else with an 03 has a handheld reader that works, so he doesn't have to rely on the radio (possibly going to remove it, etc)

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OD is correct..kinda...
I know about the radio to pull codes, I've used it many times but I'm not going to be removing it. I want a scanner that can give live data(like my maxitrip) but that will work on my 03cts.
I think the radio obd2 thhat is built in is interfeering with my external scanners but not sure.
Or my obd port isn't working properly and its possibly because of a resistor that a caddy dealer put in to fix a problem I had with a network code but I don't think that's it because I remember my handheald didn't work on it before it was fixed.
Just trying to figure out why mine don't work on my car but work on newer model cadillacs. They are both CanObd2

I guess the other option is to see if anyone in GTA has a scanner and is willing to see if it will connect to my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts