Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 escalade suv I bought last Jan. Started hearing noise hard to describe but sounded to me like...a washing machine-you know the back and forth agitation sound. Or like the old car I use to drive when the brakes wore and started scrubbing. It goes with speed of vehicle-rotation of tires. I slow down, noise slows down and on quiet road seems loud. I speed up, noise speeds up until sound is almost lost in the road noise. almost.I hear it because I am listening for it. Sounds like coming from front left wheel. It makes ths sound even if I put in neutral for second going down road.So...took to wheel/tire mechanic. Told me ball joints and bearings on front needed replaced. Did that and had new tires put on also becauss ones on it were pretty well gone. Told me brakes looked to be a 50 percent. Okay-noise STILL there. Take to just regular mechanic. He drives it an says transmission fixing to go and sounds like front differential bearings. Geeeshhh. I carry to well touted transmission man. He drives and says yes, transmission bout gone and sounds like bearings in front differential gone. Luckily I bought extended warranty when bought truck. Had transmission rebuilt. Great. Tore differential apart and mechanic said all he could find was some wore bearings, she's ready. I still hear noise. I take back to teansmission guy. Takes it apart again and says he cannot find anything. Puts back together and has guy from another shop come listen woth stethiscope? He says noise coming from front differential. Machine that picks up loudest noise on vehicle and tells you where it's coming from says front differential. So...mechanic takes apary again. Has for almost 2 weeks having everybody's brother and their mechanic look at it and then he calls me and says just drive the dang thing cause we cannot find where noise coming from. If it gets louder call me. Said he had a denali come in same problem. Said they never found xause and denali still going making sound. Hmmm....I own an escalade and dont want this noise. Months later after drowning noise with stereo cause it makes me grind my teeth I cut off radio and heat to listen-transmission guy warranty goes out in 3 mnths-seems noise lil louder? Not sure if it is or if I just think that at 3 a.m. on dark, lonely country road. Its almost like the sound I would imagine of a metal pipe turning inside another metal pipe with lots of corrosion and rust built up between them and it goes with speed of tire rotation. No driving issues. No vibrations. No turning issues. Helllppppp!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
yes

Is your vehicle AWD?
someone said it could be something as simple as brake shield? yes she is AWD. brakes applied make no difference to noise. gas applied or not makes no difference to noise-just scrappppppe constantly going with speed of my wheels. like wore out brake pad on old car scrubbing sound. No driving issues. Ima gonna go currayzzy if this is not fixed.

·
Registered
2004 ESV
536 Posts
I'm inclined to think it's either front wheel hub, or brake related. I'd get the wheel up in the air, and spin it by hand, and see if you can duplicate the noise.

Also, someone recently had a clicking noise that was driving them nuts for a while. Turned out to be the exhaust manifold leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is I can't get a mechanic to put her up and even concentrate on wheel. The tire/wheel mechanic just drove it for like 5 minutes and said differential. I will see if I can find someone that will put her up but I want to be there to listen see if wheel is where sound is coming from. Appreciate your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts