Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I've read a few forums on this issue with the model year described above and the console shifter.

Most have stated it was the shift solenoid, but I've heard it can be two other items as well, which are much cheaper than the
$500-$700 shift solenoid replacement.

Anyone out there find it to be something other than the Shift Solenoid?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Re: 2003 Deville DTS WON'T SHIFT OUT OF PARK Troubleshoot

Shift solenoids are in the trans and are for shifting from 1-2 & 2-3.

Your problem is more likely a shift interlock solenoid in the console.

Check your DTC's. Post them AND their definitions.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts

Hello:

I've read a few forums on this issue with the model year described above and the console shifter.

Most have stated it was the shift solenoid, but I've heard it can be two other items as well, which are much cheaper than the
$500-$700 shift solenoid replacement.

Anyone out there find it to be something other than the Shift Solenoid?

Thank you
==========================
could be as simple as a faulty brake switch -

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
03 DTS: Brake Light Switch Location/Replacement

Hello:

I am going through a troubleshooting of why my gear selector will not shift from park.

I know there are a few potential causes.

One Being the brake light switch. I have lights. My cruise control acts weird. I can't shift out of park without pushing the little orange clip.

Can someone please tell me the process for replacing the Brake Light Switch? Location, difficulty, tricks/tips, etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
Re: 03 DTS: Brake Light Switch Location/Replacement

It's at the upper end of the brake pedal arm. Snaps out, supposed to be self-adjusting when pushed back into the retainer bracket.

On your back in the footwell, flashlight/drop light, magic words.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Next time I will be more thorough. I just signed up to this yesterday, but you are right.. more info the better. Thank you

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To everyone: Thank you for all your help.

I purchased the Brake Light Switch today for $9.00. Took me 15 minutes to install it. When I was under there, it appeared that someone before me had electrical taped the wires to the switch.

After it was installed, the gear selector went straight out of park. Then it wouldn't again. Then I played with it, and it did it continuously. SO- This is fixed and anyone else who has this same issue, I would highly recommend trying this first. And credit to the suggestion goes to the commenters above.

Now if I can just figure out this high idle issue (in another thread) I will be good. With the high idle, the gear selector jumps just slightly into gear to keep up with the idle.

----------

Actually... partially scratch that. It shifts out of park intermittently AND... Now I don't have brake lights. Perhaps a deep electrical issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 DHS 53 K - 1997 STS 73 K - 1999 SLS 32 K
8 Posts
There are 2 switches on the brake pedal bracket, one controls the TCC lockup torque converter function and one for brake lights and shift handle solenoid. Make sure they're adjusted properly since the mounting is extremely flimsy. The plunger on the switch should be pushed in with the pedal released.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
Have you looked at the wiring underneath the tape? If it's making poor connection, the shift solenoid circuit won't engage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts