Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 DTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im going to replace my front passenger window regulator an was wondering which brand i should get. AC Delca/GM or Dorman?

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
857 Posts
Here are 2 threads you might want to read on this subject:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ille-window-regulator-motor-repair-howto.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...including-1985/202600-regulator-question.html

Rather than replace the regulator, if you have the normal "pop & drop" problem, you might want to consider the cotter pin fix that is also covered in the 2nd thread. Most of these regulators fail due to a flimsy part that holds the window up, and the new ones come with the same quality part so some people have had to change multiple regulators on the same window. Cotter pin fix costs next to nothing and seems permanent to those of us who have done it.

Since I haven't bought a replacement regulator, will have to leave it to others to tell you which, if either, is better.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx sub. man i tell you..... these regulators are nothing but a headache. a few years ago i had to replace 3 in 1 month. all different windows. the 1 in question is a cheap one a bought off of ebay. i was thinking of putting a new one in along with the cotter pins. i can get either brand for less than $100

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
I too would recommend the cotter pin fix of the OEM regulator.... my limited experience with the aftermarket regulators is they don't last... the one I tried lasted 12 months before the cable broke and parts went flying everywhere.

If you would rather replace the regulator with a new one check with Chris our resident parts guru at Rippy Cadillac for pricing. His contact info is up in the vendor section of the board or in the banner add to the right of this message.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
the 1 in question is a cheap one a bought off of ebay. i was thinking of putting a new one in along with the cotter pins. i can get either brand for less than $100
The cotter pin repair was designed to address the only weakness of the OEM regulator... I highly doubt it would be useful or effective on a Dorman or any other aftermarket brand. Doing the cotter pin repair properly to an OEM regulator and encasing the repair with epoxy makes the OEM regulator practically bulletproof in my opinion. I've done this to 7 regulators with zero failures.

·
Registered
2003 DTS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sounds like a plan. hey 00 deville do you just work on your own car? i live in charlotte nc & was planning a trip to wilmington in a month.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
that sounds like a plan. hey 00 deville do you just work on your own car? i live in charlotte nc & was planning a trip to wilmington in a month.
Yes, I just work on my own cars. If I'm around when you come to Wilmington I'd be more than happy to show you how to do the cotter pin repair to an OEM regulator... for the cost of say a 12 pack of beer. Rippy Cadillac is also here in Wilmington if you needed a new OEM one... Chris does give a discount to CF board members.

If it were my car I would rather take my chances on the cotter pin repair to a new or used OEM regulator than take a chance on an aftermarket one. The OEM ones have been in service for a long time and 99.9% of the 100's if not 1000's of ones weve heard of fail in the same spot... we have a rock solid fix for the weak spot... the cotter pin repair. I'm not saying that a Dorman or other aftermarket brand is junk... we just don't have enough history on them to know what the weak spot of the various aftermarket regulators is or even if they do have a weak spot. Just my .02 cents....

·
Registered
2003 DTS
10 Posts
Does anyone know what happened to the thread regarding the cotter pin fix for window regulators? the link does not work.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts

·
Registered
2004 DHS DeVille
135 Posts
That doesn't show anything useful for me anyway. I don't see the metal brad on the cable in the first picture on mine. WTF????

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
Ahhhh!! That's a possibility. What would the cable hold onto to move up and down?
=====================
What would the cable hold onto to move up and down?
no clue -
you should remove it - take some pics - and post them -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts