Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Deville, '03 DTS, '84 Town Car, (past: '01 Deville, '97 Town Car, '79 Deville)
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Deville DTS and its come time to replace the tires. I was wondering if there is any specific brand that fellow Cadillac owners recommend. I have read a lot of information regarding the "tire shimmy/vibration issue" from 60-70mph and that the general consesus is that it almost always has to do with the tires. I did in fact have this vibration issue myself and it drove me nuts. Then somehow for reasons unknown about 6 months ago the problem mysteriously went away and has not been noticed since. Its ironic how once the tires become worn there is no vibration or shimmy anymore. I am not looking forward to spending $1000 on 4 new tires but I am concerned that if I buy cheaper tires this car may have a hissy fit going down the highway. I've read so many horror stories on these Devilles and their tire vibration issues. The two brands I currently have in mind are the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreads. If anyone has had any experience with these brands or have used a different one please let me know. In case you didn't know the tires are P235/55/R17. I really don't care too much if the car handles like a sports sedan. I would've preferred a DHS because I like the softer floatier traditional Cadillac ride so my main concern when it comes to tires is quietness and comfort.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Tires are like whiskey, women, and guns. Everyone has their own preference. I have had excellent results with 2 sets of Cooper CS-4V tires - BUT your location, seasons, and driving habits also factor into "which tire".

Get into www.tirerack.com, get to your car, original tire size (from your driver's door sticker) and search the 65 or so offerings and their owner critiques. You'll want at least an H-rated tire because your car's speed limiter is set for 130 mph. (The DHS and base are 112.)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I had the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreads on an '02 SLS and was pretty happy with them for the short time that I had it. They where soft, smooth and quiet, just the way I like 'em. Can't comment on the Primacy's, but I've had good luck and no complaints from the Symmetry's. I'm getting close to a new set myself and am leaning towards the Symmetry's.

P.S.
I'd take Tire Racks critiques with a grain of salt. It seems that what one man loves, the next hates. Such large discrepancies leave me right where I started. :hmm:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
I'd take Tire Racks critiques with a grain of salt. It seems that what one man loves, the next hates. Such large discrepancies leave me right where I started. :hmm:
Sound like a car site you're familiar with ??? :yup:

·
Registered
'05 Deville, '03 DTS, '84 Town Car, (past: '01 Deville, '97 Town Car, '79 Deville)
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Tire Racks tire selector and that's where I was led to the Michelin and the Goodyear. However, there indeed is a wide range of owner critiques that have made me second guess any potential decision. That's why I value the critiques of those who have used them on a Cadillac rather than just in general. As far as michelin goes, I didn't remember seeing the Symmetry on their website. Was that the OEM original tire?

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,173 Posts
The 05 dts I picked up last may has a set of bf g's (not my first choice, installed by previous owner) & so far, knock on wood, those tires have been good. Quiet, no issues with vibrations.

I do know bf g's are usually reasonably priced tires.

Good luck on tire shopping.

S

·
0 Posts
I used Tire Racks tire selector and that's where I was led to the Michelin and the Goodyear. However, there indeed is a wide range of owner critiques that have made me second guess any potential decision. That's why I value the critiques of those who have used them on a Cadillac rather than just in general. As far as michelin goes, I didn't remember seeing the Symmetry on their website. Was that the OEM original tire?
I think the original tire was goodyear assurance OE as i just changed mine im a goodyear person so some good year assurance triple treads are good but expensive or u could go with the assurance comfortreads a little cheaper or cheaper yet assurance fuel max all good tires

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
My last two Devilles '97 & '03 had Symmetrys from the factory. The '92 had Michelins as well, but it was the Symmetrys predecessor. MX4's I believe?

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond DTS
18 Posts
Ive been a BFG man myself on another car and always get good service out of them.. Im also getting ready to replace my tires on my DTS and i saw some coopers and some pirelli PZero NEROS, they just got consumer reports best buy sooo I dont know anymore lol.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always thought highly of Michelins since most Cadillacs and Lincolns came out of the factory with them. However, I like how the name Goodyear Assurance ComforTred sounds since I'm looking for the smoothest and quietest tire. Not to mention they are also a little cheaper. Of all the reviews I've read they seem to be about equal. However, I will be making my decision much sooner than I expected because yesterday as I was leaving work I looked at the rear tires and was surprised how smooth and bald they were with no grooves left at all in some spots. I knew they were in need of replacing but I didn't realize how immediately they need it. I commute 60 miles a day and work nights so I really only have been driving it in the dark so apparantly I haven't paid that close attention to the tires except for adding a few pounds a month due to leaking rims. The tire shop I'm going to has both the Michelins and the Goodyears in stock so I might just flip a coin because the choice seems kind of irrelevant since I should've replaced at least the rear tires already and just need some form of rubber on them so I can get to work. I must say I love my Cadillac but it is a full time job to keep up with maintenance when you put 1500 miles a month on it. It seems like the list of things that need addressing grows faster than I can have them addressed.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Well, like I said, I was happy with the ride and quiet of the Goodyear Assurance ComforTreds, but did not have then long enough to comment on durability. Michelins on the other hand, I have never replaced before 80K and my current set is closing in on 98K.

I have heard good things about Cooper CS4s. I believe Sub has a set, but they are on an STS so comparison will be a little different.

·
Registered
1967 Eldorado
443 Posts
I put Goodyear assurance on my car because there isn't a place by me that sells Michelins. When I asked the sales guy if the Goodyear was the best he slipped and said that Michelins are a little better. Which ever is better is probably opinion based and I am very happy with the assurance tires.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
Symmetrys are good, I had a set on my DeVille till some chump knifed 'em all. I have Goodyear Intregritys on right now, and they're on par, if not better than the Symmetrys. Quiet, grippy, and smooth riding.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
I had some cheapies a on the last caddy I traded, uniroyal tiger paws , they came in at $120 a tire, I have to tell you they are some surprisingly good tires, no issues, smooth ride, no shake. Put about 6000 on them before I traded. Just as good as the costly ones I took off,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well yesterday I went ahead and got the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires primarily because there was a $120 rebate on them. So after that they will be almost $200 cheaper than the Michelin Primacys. If there had been a rebate on the Michelins I would've probably chose them since I've almost always had Michelins. But since I couldn't really find many negative reviews on either one I decided to make my decision based on price. So far I am pleased with how much smoother and quieter my ride is but considering the Michelin Energy MXV4s that I had on it were practically bald, any tire would've been a noticeable improvement. I just hope they live up to their name and provide me with many miles of comfort and assurance.

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base
88 Posts
on the 17" DTS wheels I had Continentals, not so good, slight vibes, BFG's nice ride and smooth until near end of tread then vibration on highway, now got the Discount tire Arizonian, got some vibration issues. Not sure if it is the tires though, it started at the end of the last tires life so.....

S

·
0 Posts
Well yesterday I went ahead and got the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring tires primarily because there was a $120 rebate on them. So after that they will be almost $200 cheaper than the Michelin Primacys. If there had been a rebate on the Michelins I would've probably chose them since I've almost always had Michelins. But since I couldn't really find many negative reviews on either one I decided to make my decision based on price. So far I am pleased with how much smoother and quieter my ride is but considering the Michelin Energy MXV4s that I had on it were practically bald, any tire would've been a noticeable improvement. I just hope they live up to their name and provide me with many miles of comfort and assurance.
Good choice i have two sets of tires ones the goodyear comfort threads and other is the vogue all seasons with the thin white strip so im selling the comfort threads to a friend i like the way the thin white strip looks on the vogues like (My girl has a tux on yeh i need help :D) only had the goodyears a few months but there good tires

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I bought a pair of Comfortreads about 2 years ago to replace the long-wearing Firestones that were on it when I bought it, then a pair of Michelin Symmetry last year. The GYs were barely smoother than the old Firestones, which was disappointing, but the M were slightly better than the GY when it comes to smooth ride. The car just feels better when the Michelins are in the front--perhaps it's the lower rolling resistance. Maybe I need new spring/struts, because the ride with either tire isn't as smooth as I'd like. I have a base car, so my tires are 225/60R16.

They told me recently that one of the GY wheel's was slightly bent, but I'm pretty sure I just did that in a pothole in January, so it had no effect on my tire analysis. The tiniest wobble at low speeds was a new sensation, but I also had a new front wheel hub put on the other side at the same time they moved the bent wheel to the back, so I'm not sure which problem contributed what or how much.

I don't remember much difference in price, but if you got a rebate for the GY, that's good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I noticed that even with new tires there still is a slight vibration going down the highway. Is is minor but I can feel it in the gas pedal. That leads me to believe that just about anything can make this car vibrate. I do remember the vibration used to be worse before I had a bearing/bushing and a upper/lower/inner/outer tie rod replaced. Its sad I can't even remember off the top of my head what two things were because so many things that have been done in the last 2 years its all a blurr. have a drawer that is practically full of nothing but receipts and service records pertaining to this Cadillac. In less than two years I have probably spent close to $9000 on repairs. However I've had more compliments on this car in the relatively short time I've had it than all my previous cars put together including other Cadillacs and Lincolns. I jokingly told the service manager that always services the car that '"it is the most beautiful piece of junk I've ever driven, and I don't regret buying it."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts