Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville DHS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 DHS with 112k miles. A few months ago the factory installed nav/radio system touch screen buttons stopped working, sort of. After driving for 1 to 30 minutes the touch screen stops working, the display is still on (radio on too), I just can't change stations on the touch screen or any other non-touch buttons (volume knob, band button, etc). The steering wheel volume is the only thing that works, steering wheel station change button does not.
After the car sits for 6-8 hours, it seems to be back to normal most of the time, although in the last week or so it seems even the 6-8 hour rest time doesn't help. Once the nav/radio system gets in that mode (screen on, buttons don't work) and the car is shut off, the entire screen goes blank and the car has to sit for 6-8 hours to reset. The codes I have are IRC U1000 and IRC U2150. Seems like a communication problem, I have disconnected the battery for 15 min and checked fuses, but nothing helped. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
U2150 - Navigation ECU Gateway Communication Error

I believe you have data communication errors. Since yours is Deville to remove the HU is super easy, just pry the plastic frame (around HU and climate control) then locate the two tabs on the side of the HU. That's all it holds the unit on the dash. Then do a continuity test for the data wires between (F6, E6) and DIM.
Forget about the AMP (you mentioned in the other thread) that's NOT IT, is the actual HU or HU data wires.
You mentioned the volume on the steering controls works, this mean the DIM to AMP data line is fine, the AMP is fine (the amp does the actual volume control), but my question is: does the volume change is displayed on the HU? My guess is it doesn't witch means two things: either the data line between DIM and HU is not working or the HU firmware is corrupted (either due to a HU firmware issue or a HU hardware problem).
If the data wire continuity checks out then re-flash the firmware. If that's not it then you need a new HU.
You can make sure the data line to the HU works by simply running a temporary wire between the car data port and any of the F6 or E6 data line pins in the back of the HU (disconnect the car battery, run wire, reconnect car battery). If the HU is still acting up with this wire attached then you know where the problem is:HU firmware or HU Hardware.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DHS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already took my HU out, surprised how easy it was. I guess I can put the amp back together, it's opened up laying in the trunk and plugged in.

Many basic questions:
Where is the DIM?
I assume F6 and E6 are connector pin numbers or the actual connectors? So that would be to check continuity between F6/E6 on the HU with F6/E6 on the DIM? Is there a connector pin out or something to identify which connector is which?
Is the "car data port" the same as the DIM?

"running a temporary wire between the car data port and any of the F6 or E6 data line pins in the back of the HU"
Any of the F6 or E6 data line pins? How many are there?

Sorry to be a pain, is there a thread which explains these basics?
Where could I get the FW and how do I get the HU in a state that it reads FW in, simply put the DVD in and it updates, my luck would brick the HU.
Thanks so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I would say there is nothing worse than a broken radio but there is, at least the car runs well ... KOW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts